HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

World Cup Games

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2012, 12:54:37 pm
Dont think DP is good enough to stage the games barrow is by far the best rugby ground in cumbria maybe stage them there or they could always go to carlisle just gotta face facts were in the recre for ever unless we can do up the athletics stadium

Offline diston66

• Academy Signing
Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:01:00 pm
Absolute joke really. Was it the miners or the council to blame or both who knows. No world cup games is a blow to haven the town and Cumbria. As for super league well if this is how things are organised we've got no chance. 

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:11:17 pm
Its entirely the stadium development committee (or whatever they call themselves) to blame they should have sorted this out months if not years ago, long before planning permission was even sought. If the miners so called demands were going to be to great, then an alternative route could have been planned at an earlier stage.

IMO there should have been representative from the miners on the committee from the word go to ensure that this didn't happen, whatever happens now they are still going to be landlords/neighbours to the new development (if it ever happens) and you don't have to be a genius to realise that unless they are on board it will only make things a lot more difficult.

Or maybe there were to many big personalities involved to allow that.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #18 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:15:18 pm
so they you have it from the BEC from barry rich the demands of the miners make it no longer financial viable to continue trying to access via the miners lad, so as we keep getting reminded  from a certain person up the road they have to get the best deal possible for the miners welfare,well they failed big style in that and i for one am laughing out loud.They thought the pressure of the timescale for the world cup game would mean they could demand anything for the right to access via their land and all there tactics have back fired big style and now they will get nothing ,and with only 3 years remaining on the rece lease then after that they will no longer have that income as i think WRLFC will now look at other areas for training.

so they miners will end up with nothing that's such a great deal they have got for the miners welfare :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2012, 01:17:43 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Soss (formerly known as gonch)

• Academy Star
Reply #19 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:16:04 pm
As a professional PM I cannot believe the shambles that has happened it  doesnt put Rl in Cumbria in a very good light

Offline The wash

• Academy Signing
Reply #20 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:25:45 pm
Can't believe in that radio interview that Cox didn't ask him the $64,000 question

"Why was a lease never agreed with the miners in the first place before plans were drawn up and world cup games were bid for?

I know it isn't BRs fault but CBC will let him do the interviews and take the flack. Elaine should be on explaining how CBC ever allowed this to happen.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #21 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:50:03 pm
It's very easy to blame the Miner's when you only look through a one eyed perspective, bkm.   You are no doubt get fed all sorts of things through your connections but not necessarily what you and others don't want to hear.    I again refer to the Whitehaven News article on 13th March 2012 where Brian Birkett, Secretary of the Miner's outlined what input they have had and also what they were promised by the PSV organising the Pow Beck Stadium.

He tells you straight that what they were promised originally has been watered down time and time again to make it fit in to their budget.   Obviously what was offered originally was the best offer for the charity and anything less was not in the best interests of the charity, which the Trustees are legally bound to abide by.

You say the Miner's have used the tight schedule to try to get the best offer but they had already had the best offer.    It was the PSV and CBC and Haven who were putting pressure on them to accept a lower offer than original by using the World Cup games and introducing the tight schedule.    There is nothing to stop negotiations still being done without the schedule laid down by one side of the argument.

As I've said before what have the Miner's as individuals or as a group got to gain from this situation.   They are volunteers acting under a legal framework but with heavy penalties on them personally.    I don't suppose you would know about anything like that if you have never been a charity trustee?
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• Haven Legend
Reply #22 on: 25 Apr 2012, 01:59:48 pm
It's very easy to blame the Miner's when you only look through a one eyed perspective, bkm.   You are no doubt get fed all sorts of things through your connections but not necessarily what you and others don't want to hear.    I again refer to the Whitehaven News article on 13th March 2012 where Brian Birkett, Secretary of the Miner's outlined what input they have had and also what they were promised by the PSV organising the Pow Beck Stadium.

He tells you straight that what they were promised originally has been watered down time and time again to make it fit in to their budget.   Obviously what was offered originally was the best offer for the charity and anything less was not in the best interests of the charity, which the Trustees are legally bound to abide by.

You say the Miner's have used the tight schedule to try to get the best offer but they had already had the best offer.    It was the PSV and CBC and Haven who were putting pressure on them to accept a lower offer than original by using the World Cup games and introducing the tight schedule.    There is nothing to stop negotiations still being done without the schedule laid down by one side of the argument.

As I've said before what have the Miner's as individuals or as a group got to gain from this situation.   They are volunteers acting under a legal framework but with heavy penalties on them personally.    I don't suppose you would know about anything like that if you have never been a charity trustee?

so all the other parties are lying when thy say because of the miners demands its no longer financially viable to access via the miner,so in febuary after thinking they had an agreement the miners didn't then ask for 750k,so in march when they thought they had an agreement the miners yet again changed their demands to led us where we are today where all other parties involved are saying their demands make it a no go.Its simple the miners thought they had them over a barrell with the world cup games and they could demand anything.Well they have had their bluff called and will now get nothing
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline vaselino

• Academy Star
Reply #23 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:03:05 pm
Well just as most of us thought the whole sorry affair falls flat on its arse. Hopefully people will be held accountable for this shambles and do the decent thing n quit. I do hope the RFL keep the matches in the area at Town or maybe even Brunton Park, it'll be a proper slap in the teeth to us all in this part of the world if they move them down country. What a joke a say. 

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #24 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:03:42 pm
Shame we will miss out. However  WC could still host some of the RL World cup. Derwent park.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #25 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:03:54 pm
heres hopin, tho i doubt it, that now, the haven fans who drink in the miners club before or after a game have the sense to walk straight past the club with 2 fingers up at yhem
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #26 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:04:28 pm
BKM, if there had been an agreement on the land prior to arranging and announcing the World Cup games then your version of events would never have came into being!

Perhaps, as Keith says, the World Cup announcements were to 'bounce' the Miners into agreement? A high risk strategy which, if it goes wrong, can leave you with egg all over your face...
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

• Haven Legend
Reply #27 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:08:56 pm
BKM, if there had been an agreement on the land prior to arranging and announcing the World Cup games then your version of events would never have came into being!

Perhaps, as Keith says, the World Cup announcements were to 'bounce' the Miners into agreement? A high risk strategy which, if it goes wrong, can leave you with egg all over your face...

i agree they shoud have had the miners signed up at the start and it all could have been avoided
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #28 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:31:35 pm
bkm, how many years is it, 7, 8,  since I told you and others on here and in private messages of the difficulties involved in administering charity land and not to think that it was going to be easy either doing up the Rec or the new stadium?    If I knew that through dealing with some of the people that the council will have had to have spoken with, why did the expensive consultant not know this?

You obviously haven't read, or don't want to believe, what Brian Birkett said in the Whitehaven News but if a brick built storage building was promised originally for the Miner's how come it was reduced to a prefabricated garage?   That was one very small example he gave of what has been happening.   Do you not believe him?    Read what the man says that even when that article was published on 13th March 2012 they were still waiting for confirmation of what they were actually being asked to agree to.

The very pro- Haven press and media are obviously going to give a distorted view if they only get one side and keep repeating that it has broken down because of a lack of agreement with the Miner's.    Try reading up charity guidelines as laid down on the Charity Commission website and you might , although I doubt it, see how difficult it is for the Miner's Trustees.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #29 on: 25 Apr 2012, 02:32:25 pm
The loss of the World Cup games is unfortunate but all in all I view this as very good news. More important than the games is the future of the stadium and Club itself. Removing the obstacle preventing progress can only be seen as a positive.