HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 05 Apr 2007, 01:06:50 pm
did the same thing at barrow , he will want his money back that for sure...think there house of cards could be about to tumble

WIDNES VIKINGS owner Stephen Vaughan last night stepped down from the board of directors on the eve of the club?s opening league game of the season.

He also relinquished his position as chairman of Widnes, whose Co-operative National League One campaign begins against Leigh Centurions at Halton Stadium tonight.

Mr Vaughan, who is also the chairman of Chester City Football Club, will maintain his majority shareholding for the time being in the club, but is prepared to sell his shares to anyone who has the best interests of the club at heart.

He said: ?I will give the existing board members the first opportunity to purchase my shares. I have ploughed in excess of ?840,000 into the company, which is more than any director has ever done.

?There are many reasons that have brought me to this decision. For example, certain directors requested fortnightly board meetings and then didn?t even bother to turn up. That sort of apathy is extremely annoying.

?I have shown Super League commitment to the club and I wish Widnes well, but there are certain issues that have occurred, that it wouldn?t be prudent to bring into the public arena, and I am afraid that I can?t work under those circumstances.

?One board member who has assisted me is Jim Quinn. Jim has helped me immensely both with advice and financial input. I would hope that the club could be left eventually in his capable hands.?

Following last night?s bombshell Widnes will hope to get back to normality this evening against, a match that will be televised by Sky (6.05pm kick-off).
THE MULLET IS BACK