HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Duffy to Leigh ???

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #30 on: 10 Apr 2007, 09:25:54 am
heard a whisper its gonna happen this week 30k!

heard the same thing, to behonest at 30 k i would grab their hands off

30k plus his contract and match money could get us one hell of a scrum half(hopefully who would live in whitehaven)..either an aussie with a gb passport or some one like a SL player struggling to get first team game time....

if the rumours of travelling problems because of the birth of a 2nd child and his wifes health are true ..then i think he will go at some time during the season..so if that is the case then do it now and recruit well(maybe the club has some one in mind) before we face the tough months of july and august

he is a class player no doubting that but if travelling is becoming a problem are we really going to get the best out of him
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #31 on: 10 Apr 2007, 10:35:58 am
Looks like McCormack scenerio all over again.

Travelling too much.

Apparently looking for a club closer to home, not necessarily Leigh.

Believe John will be going once sorted out a club and compensation/release agreed with Whitehaven.

At least Fletcher has brought his family over to Whitehaven now!

Rumours are Rob Jackson also unsettled, catalyst for him leaving could be Duffy going?

How much longer will Maden & Aaron Smith put up with the travelling???

Great to see the u-21s progressing, whom are local. Good that the board has had the foresight in this area.

haven1985

Reply #32 on: 10 Apr 2007, 11:11:41 am
i dont think duffy will be leaving. which club closer to home needs a scrum half. ?????

Monte2carlo

Reply #33 on: 10 Apr 2007, 11:16:04 am
It would seem strange for duffy to leave the rec. He always gets paid up here and a move back to Leigh who are broke , be probably in a relagation battle is bizzare

However if they have ?30,000 + contract money on the table we should snap their fingers off.

Monte

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #34 on: 10 Apr 2007, 11:18:37 am
Really dont want to lose Duffy, but if he needs to move for personal reasosns we need to get every penny we can. As for Bamber stepping into the breach, a bit too early for me. There is no doubt he has played well in the 2 games he was selected, but a full time replacement, not yet i think.

As for recruiting some else, this will take time, overseas ( with UK Passport ) not many of them about, and getting SL teams to part with players is never easy.

Hope Duffy stays, but if not we really need to get in a class replacement ASAP!

TW

Offline Ryan

• First Team Backup
Reply #35 on: 10 Apr 2007, 02:46:46 pm
Why should we snap their fingers off we don't need 30k were not in money trouble and to lose Duffy at this stage of the seasn will disrupt the team, Bamber is a good player but i don't think he could play a whole season a this level he'll be knackered and were we going to get another scrum half from.

• Haven Legend
Reply #36 on: 10 Apr 2007, 03:10:10 pm
Why should we snap their fingers off we don't need 30k were not in money trouble and to lose Duffy at this stage of the seasn will disrupt the team, Bamber is a good player but i don't think he could play a whole season a this level he'll be knackered and were we going to get another scrum half from.

read my post a new scrum half living in haven no travell or family problems to keep him away or off his game..this would always be the best option

bamber is a good option but not every game...he needs a little more time and some experinced to learn off

hence is duffy is going get it out of the way now while we have time to bed in another
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Ryan

• First Team Backup
Reply #37 on: 10 Apr 2007, 03:18:57 pm
But if duffy does go were we going to get another scrum half from, i wouldnt like to loan 1 we need someone permanent, bamebr is good but he needs another couple of years, so were we going to find a scrum half we can sign on a 2 year contract.

Monte2carlo

Reply #38 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:01:26 pm
A little Dickie bird told me that Leigh offered JD a full time contract for less than 1/2 of the ?30,000 that been mentioned on here and he politely told them to go away ;D

Monte

• Haven Legend
Reply #39 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:04:28 pm
A little dickie bird told me that Leigh offered JD a full time contract for less than 1/2 of the ?30,000 that been mentioned on here and he politley told them to go away  ;D

Monte

30k was the transfer fee mentioned for him to be released by haven not his wages
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 05:57:27 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Monte2carlo

Reply #40 on: 10 Apr 2007, 04:34:07 pm
OK,

?30,000 + contract money is not the figure that was told to me.

He & Jacko will still be in Haven colours next Sunday not Leigh's

Monte
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 04:37:41 pm by Monte2carlo »

popularsider

Reply #41 on: 10 Apr 2007, 05:09:52 pm
acording to john rob and steve they all to me they would be in whitehaven colours next season steve is hopeful of getting a new contract  ;D

as for aaron smith he is contracted until next season isnt he

but if john does go theres these lads

tommy lee (hull on loan?)
matty smith (st helens on loan?)
scott moore (st helens on loan?)
liam campbell (buy him from the donkeys)
liam finch (barrow)
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2007, 05:28:57 pm by popularsider »

Offline mr hopefull

• First Team Backup
  • off we go-- come on haven-- come on haven
Reply #42 on: 10 Apr 2007, 05:31:22 pm
i hope duffy does not go ,,,but at the end of the day,if rumours are true and he needs to be near his family(which i can understand),then we should get what we can for him,,

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #43 on: 10 Apr 2007, 05:48:28 pm
He's  into  his  2nd  season  and  surely  wouldn't  have  signed  for  that  long  if  he  was  unhappy.

Mind  you  though  his  wife  has  just  given  birth  and  could  be  putting  pressure  on  him  to  go  to  a  club  nearer  to  home.

Personally  I  would  like  him  and  the  other  tavelling  lads  to  move  here.  Surely  with  the  clubs  contacts  someone  could  get  them  jobs.

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #44 on: 10 Apr 2007, 06:33:00 pm
I think a touch of realism needs to be added here. Johns family have had some 'issues' to deal with since their new arrival.
But
If he has not asked to leave ( which he hasn't )
And no one has approached the club apart from the regular rumour mongerers ( which they haven't ) then JD will be a Haven player until these 2 situations arise.
If JD personal circumstances dictate he has to leave, then that is not a reflection on him or the club, and he wo9uld go with the best wishes of all of us I am sure.

Lets not speculate but focus in the great start to the season.

Neil
[/quote]
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA