HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Name Change

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #30 on: 14 Sep 2013, 05:58:50 am
Then why has this been released as is? Again it's all about communication and I for one "am stirred into a stew" as you say because I am very traditionalist in my outlook. The BOD should have not allowed it to be leaked if they don't know the details, if they do know the details then announce the whole package and try and take the fans [and traditionilsts with them] I have seen so much tradition in the game I love been thrown out of the window needlessly by persons who have no affinity to the game other than ££££££ [the tennis man and now this soccor guy] it makes you want to weep.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #31 on: 14 Sep 2013, 05:59:32 am
For "stirred into a stew" you could also read passion Mrs.R!

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #32 on: 14 Sep 2013, 07:03:46 am
I understand cran.cran., and it is unfortunate how so much news seems to come out of the Club in bits and pieces which only leads to conjecture and wonderment on the part of us fans....but we don't really know what has been negotiated, or if its even finalized.

There are ways to accommodate both the respect for tradition and create revenue streams for the team.

There is an American Football team here in Denver, Colorado. They have a rich tradition and have always played at "Mile High Stadium". When the naming issues arose due to a sponsor the fans loudly declared their opposition to losing "Mile High". It is now known by whatever sponsor they have "...at Mile High". Perhaps we can do something similar at the Recre? I would prefer it to still retain some of that identification, though I realize I'm just one person.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 14 Sep 2013, 07:52:28 am
Sounds better, again though club lost a chance to wow fans with a big positive announcement and engage instead we have a drip drip drip almost apologetic situation, both club and sponsor loose chance to gain kudos.

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #34 on: 14 Sep 2013, 09:24:26 am

I really dont understand all this 'dont change the name' rubbish.

Its not as if the Rec is steeped in history is it? One of the clubs / areas biggest failings is that it appears unable to move with the times.

I would be inclined to try and encourage one of the directors of NMP onto the board to enable to company to work in partnership with the club.

Tony Price is a local man and with NMP desperate to improve their socio-economic image i think they would jump at the chance. They support us - we support them.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:10:43 am
Well Steven you call it rubbish, us who are older differ. it wouldn't be the first time 'sellafield' has had a BOD member, it happened during david Wighams time when both BNFL and Marchon had representatives on the BOD so this is in no way a 'new' idea. the problem is that in the long run it becomes [and would so] political. There would be a fall out that the nuclear indusrty was favouring Whitehaven over Workington or Barrow. I agree with you it would be great. I don't agree with you that the recreation isn't steeped in history, it is and that's a fact. It may not be the same as Central Park or Knowsley Road or Odsal or Thrum hall but it has its place. As regards moving with the times, well again because of my age I see the game going to hell on a bycicle with no brakes. I watched the game last night and heard waldorf and stadler make comment about "....well the referees at the start of the season put their stamp on the game and make sure the rules are adhered to..." unbelievable. Forwrd passes, uncontested scrums, ignoring offside and dilletente refereeing is ruining the game. However Steven I would love to be proved wrong, the game is in crisis. This new system they are bringing in in 2015 will last a season or two at most and we will be back to the drawing board. It's another disaster waiting to happen. However I don't know Tony Price so can't comment on him individually. Is he willing to serve? Does he have the clout to direct money to Whitehaven's coffers? Can he direct enough money continually to make a lasting difference? can he weather the inevitable storm from the rest of the county who would want first call on 'Sellafield' money? 

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #36 on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:16:45 am
Well Steven you call it rubbish, us who are older differ. it wouldn't be the first time 'sellafield' has had a BOD member, it happened during david Wighams time when both BNFL and Marchon had representatives on the BOD so this is in no way a 'new' idea. the problem is that in the long run it becomes [and would so] political. There would be a fall out that the nuclear indusrty was favouring Whitehaven over Workington or Barrow. I agree with you it would be great. I don't agree with you that the recreation isn't steeped in history, it is and that's a fact. It may not be the same as Central Park or Knowsley Road or Odsal or Thrum hall but it has its place. As regards moving with the times, well again because of my age I see the game going to hell on a bycicle with no brakes. I watched the game last night and heard waldorf and stadler make comment about "....well the referees at the start of the season put their stamp on the game and make sure the rules are adhered to..." unbelievable. Forwrd passes, uncontested scrums, ignoring offside and dilletente refereeing is ruining the game. However Steven I would love to be proved wrong, the game is in crisis. This new system they are bringing in in 2015 will last a season or two at most and we will be back to the drawing board. It's another disaster waiting to happen. However I don't know Tony Price so can't comment on him individually. Is he willing to serve? Does he have the clout to direct money to Whitehaven's coffers? Can he direct enough money continually to make a lasting difference? can he weather the inevitable storm from the rest of the county who would want first call on 'Sellafield' money?

good post marra.
born and bred haven.

Offline RonnietheRhino

• Academy Star
Reply #37 on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:31:58 am
'The Recre is to be renamed next year.
will be known as The B.E.C Arena. a bit of rebranding of haven.
Britains Energy Coast Arena'

From the original post, is this actually happening or is the new name a wind up?. If it is happening where has the source of info come from (other than being leaked from the Board). Guess if it is happening and the ground is being renamed youv'e got to move with the times.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #38 on: 14 Sep 2013, 11:35:15 am
Why would this be , last time i looked sellafield was in copeland not allerdale.NMP or washington before them are a private company who can invest their money where they like.Town are sponsored by a Private company in the nuclear industry so does that mean they should also be investing money in Whitehaven.British steel put money into town and not haven and that was a public organisation.
THE MULLET IS BACK

ca28

Reply #39 on: 14 Sep 2013, 12:20:56 pm
So Workington get a stadium upgrade from The tax payer and Whitehaven get a new name for a stadium, hmm seems fair  :mess:

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 14 Sep 2013, 01:52:06 pm
BKM, I am not saying it wouldn't be correct that IT SHOULD HAPPEN because 'sellafield' is in Copeland, don't get me wrong what I am saying is BEC is supra Copeland and thus whatever Whitehaven gets I think Workington would argue [with some justification because of BEC being supra] that they should be entitled to the same and a whole political can of worms would open. I agree they should invest in Copeland first but with BEC I just can't see that happening.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #41 on: 14 Sep 2013, 02:00:34 pm
BKM, I am not saying it wouldn't be correct that IT SHOULD HAPPEN because 'sellafield' is in Copeland, don't get me wrong what I am saying is BEC is supra Copeland and thus whatever Whitehaven gets I think Workington would argue [with some justification because of BEC being supra] that they should be entitled to the same and a whole political can of worms would open. I agree they should invest in Copeland first but with BEC I just can't see that happening.
but havent they just had some, BEC stumped up cash towards the WC upgrades
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #42 on: 14 Sep 2013, 05:37:01 pm
This may all be just a "wind up" as a previous poster suggested. The original poster hasn't expanded on what he/she has heard so it may not have any real foundation other than being a rumor.

In any event the issues remain the same be it BEC, BMW or Mike's Dog Treats. Naming rights are never permanent, only a temporary reflection of investment, and there is a way if this was to be done to retain our Haven character and reflect the interests and investment of any commercial entity.

As for this observation:

"Tony Price is a local man and with NMP desperate to improve their socio-economic image i think they would jump at the chance. They support us - we support them."

NMP already supports us...with significant funds each and every  year. They have since their inception...and before that it was URS/Washington Group. LLWR provides funding. We already have the participation of some in the nuclear industry...its what we as a Club do with it that will reveal our capability to expand and be worthy of greater participation.

Offline #eggchaser

• Academy Star
Reply #43 on: 14 Sep 2013, 09:41:19 pm
was told in confidence. by a club insider
8ry4n

beermatt42

Reply #44 on: 14 Sep 2013, 09:47:26 pm
J,D RAAZ,
No-one has to retain the Haven character, they've already go it!
Despite all my pro Wire rants, I am firmly a fan of both clubs, I've got family living in both towns.
Great post though love, I had to pick out the best point of them all.