HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

world cup final

Offline Haven till I Die

• Academy Star
Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2013, 08:38:49 pm
Anyone know the best way to Old Trafford from Manchester Oxford Road or Piccadilly?

I've always gone with the Warrington Wolves coaches in the past, now I have to make my own way.

Which is the best way to avoid congestion?  I know you can get a train from either of these stations to Old Trafford, but only on matchdays and because it is only an occasional stop, every time I use the National Rail Enquiries website, it starts malfunctioning, I can get the times but not the fares and eventually it just breaks down altogether.

Is it easier to go by tram?  If so, which is the best place to catch one to Old Trafford? 
I don't want to end up in Canal street by mistake LOL, could be a bit dodgy that LOL.

matt we got a tram from picadilly to salford quays and a short walk to old trafford

Seem to know your way round old Trafford shaun you a closet utd fan???????

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2013, 08:36:13 am
Anyone know the best way to Old Trafford from Manchester Oxford Road or Piccadilly?

I've always gone with the Warrington Wolves coaches in the past, now I have to make my own way.

Which is the best way to avoid congestion?  I know you can get a train from either of these stations to Old Trafford, but only on matchdays and because it is only an occasional stop, every time I use the National Rail Enquiries website, it starts malfunctioning, I can get the times but not the fares and eventually it just breaks down altogether.

Is it easier to go by tram?  If so, which is the best place to catch one to Old Trafford? 
I don't want to end up in Canal street by mistake LOL, could be a bit dodgy that LOL.

matt we got a tram from picadilly to salford quays and a short walk to old trafford

Seem to know your way round old Trafford shaun you a closet utd fan???????
hate man utd marra but been last four from five grand finals you wanting directions  :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2013, 08:39:54 pm
The squads have been announced, they are:

AUSTRALIA                                                                                   NEW ZEALAND

Cameron Smith                                                                                 Jesse Bromwich
 Greg Bird                                                                                          Greg Eastwood
 Darius Boyd                                                                                       Kieran Foran
 Daly Cherry Evans                                                                             Alex Glenn
 Cooper Cronk                                                                                    Bryson Goodwin 
 Andrew Fifita                                                                                     Shaun Johnson
 Jarryd Hayne                                                                                     Sam Kasiano
 Paul Gallen                                                                                        Kevin Locke
 Greg Inglis                                                                                        Isaac Luke
 Brett Morris                                                                                       Simon Mannering
 Nate Myles                                                                                        Ben Matulino
 Josh papilii                                                                                        Jason Nightingale
 Corey Parker                                                                                     Frank Paul Nu'uausala
 Matthew Scott                                                                                   Elijah Taylor
 Billy Slater                                                                                        Roger Tuivasa Sheck
 James Tamou                                                                                    Manu Vatuvei
 Brent Tate                                                                                         Jared Waerea Hargreaves
 Sam Thaiday                                                                                     Dean Whare
 Johnathan Thurston                                                                           Sonny Bill Williams
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2013, 08:55:38 pm by beermatt42 »

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2013, 08:01:03 am
The squads have been announced, they are:

AUSTRALIA                                                                                   NEW ZEALAND

Cameron Smith                                                                                 Jesse Bromwich
 Greg Bird                                                                                          Greg Eastwood
 Darius Boyd                                                                                       Kieran Foran
 Daly Cherry Evans                                                                             Alex Glenn
 Cooper Cronk                                                                                    Bryson Goodwin 
 Andrew Fifita                                                                                     Shaun Johnson
 Jarryd Hayne                                                                                     Sam Kasiano
 Paul Gallen                                                                                        Kevin Locke
 Greg Inglis                                                                                        Isaac Luke
 Brett Morris                                                                                       Simon Mannering
 Nate Myles                                                                                        Ben Matulino
 Josh papilii                                                                                        Jason Nightingale
 Corey Parker                                                                                     Frank Paul Nu'uausala
 Matthew Scott                                                                                   Elijah Taylor
 Billy Slater                                                                                        Roger Tuivasa Sheck
 James Tamou                                                                                    Manu Vatuvei
 Brent Tate                                                                                         Jared Waerea Hargreaves
 Sam Thaiday                                                                                     Dean Whare
 Johnathan Thurston                                                                           Sonny Bill Williams

i could put 1 or 2 of those players in a haven shirt wishful thinking  :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2013, 09:54:18 am
You should be in for something spectacular tomorrow Shaun, you will be part of the greatest RL international crowd of all time, watching the best two teams in the world right now.

It amazes me how no Superleague players can get into either squad, no place for Rangi Chase, Trent Waterhouse etc and how good is Jarryd Hayne if one of Superleagues best wingers and tryscorers Joel Monaghan can't make it into the Australian squad?

Australia in particular are the business, their central spine is second to none, Billy Slater is probably the best full back in the World, likes getting forward and then there are the half backs of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk, plus hooker Cameron Smith, top class in all the key positions.
You can't miss Sam Thaiday either, one of the biggest fellas on the pitch, aboriginal looking, very quick despite his size and he will need some stopping if he gets near the Kiwi tryline.

Saying that, the Kiwis have an even bigger prop in Sam Kasiano, and we all know what Shaun Johnson can do once he's got the ball, NZ also have a good squad, Jason Nightingale, Sonny Bill Williams, Simon Mannering etc.

This is the one.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2013, 10:24:11 am
You should be in for something spectacular tomorrow Shaun, you will be part of the greatest RL international crowd of all time, watching the best two teams in the world right now.

It amazes me how no Superleague players can get into either squad, no place for Rangi Chase, Trent Waterhouse etc and how good is Jarryd Hayne if one of Superleagues best wingers and tryscorers Joel Monaghan can't make it into the Australian squad?

Australia in particular are the business, their central spine is second to none, Billy Slater is probably the best full back in the World, likes getting forward and then there are the half backs of Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk, plus hooker Cameron Smith, top class in all the key positions.
You can't miss Sam Thaiday either, one of the biggest fellas on the pitch, aboriginal looking, very quick despite his size and he will need some stopping if he gets near the Kiwi tryline.

Saying that, the Kiwis have an even bigger prop in Sam Kasiano, and we all know what Shaun Johnson can do once he's got the ball, NZ also have a good squad, Jason Nightingale, Sonny Bill Williams, Simon Mannering etc.

This is the one.

nice build up matt should be a classic
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2013, 06:22:40 am
Well, I am off to Manchester soon for the Rugby League extravaganza of the century, I shall phone Shaun later to see if we can have a drink before the match.
Good luck to everyone who is going today, it looks like the weather is going to stay dry which is one good thing, I hope we are all in for a classic.

beermatt42

Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2013, 07:40:14 am
It wouldn't surprise me if we don't get a minutes silence today, given the events in Glasgow last night.
It's only the civilised and decent thing to do, before we can get on with a game of rugby.

Offline brianb

• First Team Backup
Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2013, 02:13:42 pm
 not long to go now about 20 mins think new Zealand will have to raise their game 2 or 3 notches to stay with the oz.  but they need no bigger incentive than playing the oz.  come on the kiwis.//

Offline brianb

• First Team Backup
Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2013, 06:01:02 pm
 :bow: bit disappointed but you have to hand it to oz their defence was brilliant, don't know how we would have handled them.  think the result would have been similar although I think we may have scored a try at least. sorry for new Zealand but well played oz.//

beermatt42

Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2013, 09:46:22 pm
Australia seem to make all the other teams look ordinary, all their games have been one sided, only England managed to score tries against them and they have had a formidable defence throughout, Keeping New Zealand tryless in the final.
I don't think anyone could beat them, they are the pinnacle of our sport and I think the reason for this is that RL is not a minority sport over there, like it is here.
That's the difference, they don't like football and league is bigger than Union in Australia, so how can ANYONE compete with that?
I am proud that England were the only team to give the Champions a game and watching that today I often thought how England would have given them a better game than New Zealand did, but it's all ifs and buts, New Zealand were the opponents on the pitch and they were made to look less than average by a very organised team, I can't really see how England or anyone else could have beaten them.
Well done Australia, I thought Thurston was the MOTM, and Morris's second try was the best of the game, along with Cooper Cronks, but it can be boring watching one team clinically demolish another so not a classic.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2013, 09:49:13 pm by beermatt42 »

beermatt42

Reply #26 on: 01 Dec 2013, 09:30:33 am
I loved the game yesterday, it was a real privilege to watch a World cup final, but the congestion in and around Manchester was unbelievable last night.
Add together a record crowd of 74,468 to all the extra Christmas shoppers and you end up with bedlam.
I got to Manchester early yesterday and from the start I have never seen anywhere so crowded in my life, and that includes London.
You couldn't get into any pubs in  the city centre because it was five deep along all the bars, every pub was the same, and it wasn't worth it, you would have to queue for hours just to get one pint.
The crowds around Old Trafford were even worse, with the police having to close off the roads so the crowds could walk down the middle of them, and there was hardly an empty seat inside once the match had started.
It was after the game had finished that the real problems started, 75,000 people all being released at once was pandemonium, the queues for a tram back to the city centre was unbelievable, literally thousands of people being herded into cattle pens ready for the slaughter, the guards would only open the gates to let so many people onto the platform at any one time, and in the meantime, thousands more were joining the back of the queue.  Once aboard it was no better than Tokyo, with people packed in like sardines so you could hardly close the doors.

Relief to be back at the city centre was short lived, no chance of any refreshments, queues everywhere and the pubs just the same as they were in the morning, best to tie a knot in it as there were queues for every toilet too, so no food, no drink, no toilet breaks for most of the day, just crowds and queues everywhere, unbelievable bedlam.

Realising that there was no chance of a break, we went straight back to the railway station, only to find the worst problems of them all, there was literally three thousand people trying to get onto platform 14 (for Warrington, Chester and North Wales) and the police were not letting them go up the stairs, creating another massive crowd, we missed three trains waiting in that crowd and it was turning nasty at times with some people ready to fight the police for their perceived incompetence, we left that platform and tried to get to Chester another way, but once on board that train, we ended up in Stockport and the train was going the other way (Eastwards and then Southbound for Crewe), so we had to jump off at Stockport, couldn't find a pub anywhere in that godforsaken town for just half an hours rest so we decided to go back to Piccadilly and try platform 14 again.
Despite arriving back there over an hour later, the crowds were still being held back by the police, and still as big as before, but getting even angrier, not a nice atmosphere to be joining, they were only letting people up the stairs in dribs and drabs and according to whether their train had come in.  When it was finally announced that passengers for Warrington could go up, it was bedlam fighting your way through the crowds, real hard work getting up the stairs and a real fear of a crush developing like at Hillsborough, the police were totally incompetent and didn't seem to know what they were doing regarding crowd control.  Nevertheless, we made it up the stairs, having already missed about three previous trains and managed to jump on the train in the nick of time, just before the doors shut, we arrived home five hours after the match had finished, despite living only forty miles or so from Manchester, pure bedlam.
I had to wait until I got home before I could have that pint or that pish, and the whole thing just reminded me of a cattle market gone mad.
It was no better going by road either, one thing I did notice from the train windows was traffic jams on the motorways and several St Helens bound coaches caught up in them, some four hours after the match had finished.
I know this must sound like a massive rant, but there must have been several fans who probably didn't get home at all last night, such was the mither with the railways and the roads, some of them poor b@£$@*$ probably had to rough it in Manchester last night.
Probably the last final I ever go to, when you are packed onto trams and trains so full that they can hardly close the doors. you soon realise how much more comfortable it would be to watch it at home, with a fridge, a toilet and central heating all available, the match was good and probably worthwhile, but the travel problems and overcrowding were unbelievable.   
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2013, 09:34:44 am by beermatt42 »

Offline RonnietheRhino

• Academy Star
Reply #27 on: 01 Dec 2013, 10:19:51 am
Was at the match yesterday also but came in from Media City way and parked at the multi storey beside Booth's supermarket (cheaper stay than it is in Whitehaven/Workington town centre - £5 for five hours). First time I have been around this side of Manchester and it was fairly impressive with its bars and restaurants and looked clean and tidy. It was a 15 minute walk to Old Trafford from here. On the way back after the match I noticed that there was a tram terminal outside of the BBC centre with no more than a couple of dozen people waiting at about 16.40 hrs (don't know which direction it would go). I for once done my homework on where to park as I have normally gone down to Old Trafford on organised coach trips and was told by a work colleague that under no means to go any other way or it would take a couple of hours to get from this area (he used to be a season ticket holder). We hit the road at 5 and were home just before 8.
 As for the match thought it was one way traffic and after watching last weeks match realised maybe just how far we are still behind Australia (not being too critical as I thought England played very well and showed the most commitment for many a year).

beermatt42

Reply #28 on: 01 Dec 2013, 10:30:08 am
I think 80% of that crowd must have gone to the other tram station, the one by Lancashire county cricket club, the Emirates Old Trafford, because that was pure bedlam, as was the town centre afterwards.
It really says something if you can be at home in Cumbria (some 90 miles is it) a good hour before I could travel the forty miles back to North Cheshire.
I suppose I will laugh about it one day, i'm just knackered this morning LOL.
Still got my souvenir scarf so I will try to look back with fond memories, once my aches and pains have gone LOL.

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #29 on: 01 Dec 2013, 08:07:56 pm
Looking at the game yesterday and others throughout the competition, I have to say how dissapointed I am with the standard of refereeing, in the game yesterday both teams could have been penalised every other tackle (and hopefully would be in our domestic competitions) for holding down, interfeering at the play of the ball etc. Its creeping into our game to growing extent but from the few NRL games I have seen recently its rampent over there. I know that they call it the wrestle (after the tackle is made) and teams are coached on how to win it, but in my opinion its ruining the game. When they introduced this "dominant" tackle call, it seems to be an excuse not to satisfy the basic rule to release and roll away.

If I wanted top see a wrestling match I would watch WWW or whatever its called, this is rugby cut it out !