HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Golden Boot 2013 Nominations

Guest · 13 · 2385

beermatt42

on: 06 Dec 2013, 08:42:18 pm
The nominations are in, and the winner will be announced on January 17th, but who do you think will win it?

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 07 Dec 2013, 07:27:56 am
Thurston's performance throughout the WC was peerless. Don't watch the Oz RL so not sure about his year round performance but his WC performance should enough if nothing else.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #2 on: 07 Dec 2013, 11:22:24 am
i was at wigan to watch england v france and burgess was very impressive as he was during the tournament.  i was also at the final at old trafford and thurston was outstanding so gets my vote.
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #3 on: 07 Dec 2013, 11:24:23 am
Funny how Gareth Hock hasn't been nominated, can't work that one out meself, Surely 2013 was a great year by his standards LOL.

beermatt42

Reply #4 on: 11 Dec 2013, 01:26:51 pm
Has anyone else forgotten to vote?

It would be interesting to see how it goes, the vote is very close, with some nominee's neck and neck.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #5 on: 11 Dec 2013, 01:53:20 pm
Has anyone else forgotten to vote?

It would be interesting to see how it goes, the vote is very close, with some nominee's neck and neck.

thurston for me matt does that make me australian   :D :D :D :D
born and bred haven.

beermatt42

Reply #6 on: 11 Dec 2013, 02:54:15 pm
I've just been out in my Australia v USA scarf  :o :o :o

beermatt42

Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2014, 05:27:10 pm
Apparently, the winner will be announced on Friday, but there is still time to register your vote if you have not already, who will win our private poll?

beermatt42

Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2014, 11:06:09 am
Well the voting has now closed so don't bother trying to register a vote now because it won't count and may cost you money  :D
It looks like a late flurry of votes managed to sort the wheat from the chaff and it's clear that there is a lot of support for Sam Burgess and Johnathan Thurston, with Danny Brough finally breaking free from the trailing peloton.

Well done to all who voted, the real ballot is tomorrow so it should be interesting to see how accurate we are, it will show what we all know about Rugby League if Cooper Cronk wins it  :D

Me, personally I went for Thurston because I thought he had an excellent World Cup which may sway a few ballots, but there's no denying Burgess is England's superstar, so it's hard to say.   Nice to see the support for Brough too, a vastly underated half back and the only representative from Superleague, if he wins I can say that I shook hands with and annoyed not only the man of steel but the golden boot of 2013 too, quite an accomplishment  :D

We should know by tomorrow anyway, along with the results of that other ballot, the one involving the future layout of Superleague 1 & 2.

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2014, 09:42:36 am
http://www.sportal.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/johnathan-thurston-claims-second-rugby-league-world-golden-boot/7b6s8m076wu011aorfh11dmc5

Voting was......

GOLDEN BOOT VOTING
Johnathan Thurston – 41 pts
Sam Burgess –34
Sonny Bill Williams –23
Cameron Smith –13
Danny Brough – 5
Cooper Cronk –1

Johnathan Thurston has joined greats Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer as only the third player to win Rugby League World's coveted Golden Boot for the second time.
The North Queensland Cowboys half was named as the world's best for 2013, edging out England and South Sydney Rabbitohs forward Sam Burgess for the top prize.
Thurston, who was man of the match in Australia's Rugby League World Cup final win last year, also won the prestigious award back in 2011.
The 30-year-old beat out a class field to get the nod, with Sonny Bill Williams, who won the Rugby League International Federation's player of the year award, third, Australian and Melbourne skipper captain Cameron Smith fourth and Huddersfield's Danny Brough fifth.
Thurston had a sublime 2013 campaign, helping Queensland to an eighth successive State of Origin series triumph, getting the Cowboys to the NRL finals followed by the Rugby League World Cup success.
"We asked the panel to consider performances in international matches first and foremost and, given his outstanding World Cup campaign, Jonathan Thurston has emerged as a deserving winner," Rugby League World editor Gareth Walker said.

"It was typical of the way he orchestrated his Australian side superbly in the match that mattered most, though it should be noted that he was excellent for the entire competition.
"Ever since breaking onto the international scene almost eight years ago, Thurston has been at the very forefront of the sport at its highest level.
"During that time he has also collected a host of individual honours domestically and is at the very centre of Queensland's stunning run of wins."
Thurston was one of nine Australian players in the World XIII selected by Rugby League World, alongside two Englishman and two New Zealanders.
Rugby League World XIII 2013: Billy Slater (Australia), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand), Greg Inglis (Australia), Jamie Lyon (Australia), Brett Morris (Australia); Johnathan Thurston (Australia), Cooper Cronk (Australia); Sam Burgess (England), Cameron Smith (Australia), James Graham (England), Sonny Bill Williams (New Zealand), Greg Bird (Australia), Paul Gallen (Australia).
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

beermatt42

Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:41:59 am
Well done Johnathan Thurston on winning this award, unlike last year there can't be many arguments that it went to the right player and it was a real privilege to watch the whole Australian team this Autumn, not just Thurston, but all of them, Slammin' Sam, Cooper Cronk, Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Greg Inglis ETC, you only have to look at the World Cup attendances, it was a real privilege for everyone.

Well Done Thurston and well done Australia.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 17 Jan 2014, 10:50:49 am
Agree with that Beermatt it could not have gone to anyone else.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #12 on: 17 Jan 2014, 12:32:17 pm
well done to thurston saw him live at old trafford class act
born and bred haven.