HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

A Suggestion for the Trust

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
on: 17 Feb 2014, 02:38:44 am
First, it should be understood by everyone that I am not a member of the Trust. Any questions or ideas I raise come from the outside looking in. I have no idea regarding the internal finances, plans or intentions of the Trust nor am I entitled to such information.

..but I do see the Trust as a positive just through its mere existence and am hopeful for its success. With that in mind I offer the following:

It is my understanding that the main goal of the Trust is to obtain an ownership position in the Club. It is also my impression that all funds now raised go to building up the squads strength through contribution to contracts. Given that this is a do or die year for Haven that is an appropriate effort but it does nothing to forward the mission of gaining a holding within Haven.

The Club obviously, in my opinion, has a problem right now with connecting to most regular fans and community. Even from the remote location of Idaho Falls I'm aware of the disconnect that exists for many fans from the Club proper. I personally heard from five fans today that I learned had not renewed their Season Tickets. When I asked one individual why his family had not renewed given our need his comment was "They don't care about the likes of me Mrs. R.,  why should I care?"

We all know, or should know, the recent attendance figures. I'm truly not interested in hearing excuses because the numbers speak for themselves. This BOD is simply not able to inspire the fans or community to engage..but the Trust may be able to do so and work towards a worthy goal.

My suggestion, and this comes as result of past conversations with Supporters Direct, is if you are going to give the majority of your funds directly to the Club (and this year for team building is probably not a bad idea), to have a raffle each home match where the funds are set aside directly for the purpose of future share purchase. The items can be small (a bottle of single malt, a special ladies pocketbook, etc.) but I do believe you would be surprised at the number of individuals (trust member or no) who would drop a pound or two into a bucket not only for a ticket but knowing the funds are being reserved for a specific purpose of share purchase. Mark the bucket specifically so that fans know what they are building and I believe you will be surprised at the result and also surprised by the enthusiasm of fans knowing they are building towards a voice.

It would take determination, as there are always those that wish to have funds used for purposes of their choice, but it would show work towards the Trust's goal and engage the fan coming through the gate who wants to think that there is a future for his point of view. I would even go so far as to post a progress report on this forum...it would start small, but you will be surprised on how quickly it grows, and if supporters see that their money is building they will be only motivated to do more...and perhaps even attend a game that they may have given a pass on feeling that they are part of the Club's future. The fact that the Club itself would see the account building, observe what the fans can do, is not a bad thing either.

There are two recent examples that may give my suggestion reason for consideration. The Bull Builders, a Bradford Bulls support organization, not too long ago gave a considerable amount (very considerable) to "save their club". In return they received...well, nothing. They operated on passion (something I am guilty of doing with Haven) instead of proper business sense and their investment only supported business practices that excluded the fan base to their detriment. And the Bulls continue their drama with instability and no significant fan holding.

The other example is Haven itself. When Haven when into Administration the fans and supporters were woefully unprepared to commit to an investment or business plan. I was "in" because my husband, after Ralph and Michael Woods backed out of their promise, asked me to be in, but I had that luxury. The fans hadn't armed themselves for a voice. You can do so now. Before there is another panic situation you can create your own power base....and I think it would enthuse people to participate, and the Club needs its fans, each and every one right now. If they drop a pound or two into a bucket for an account that is specifically held for their demand for respect and place in the Club's future it is certainly a good thing.