HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Expectations

recre · 47 · 1803

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
on: 21 Apr 2015, 03:59:03 pm
I don't know if it's just how things are nowadays but I find it hard to agree with this instant sucess philosophy of the current generation. What's wrong with supporting your home town club who struggle from one hardship to the next? Sport by nature cannot be full of sucessful teams. We are a small town club who had a purple patch a decade ago, to be honest we punched above our weight for a few seasons and riding that wave was great. Why do people expect (or some demand) that we should be up there constantly. Before the season started I thought that if we stay up it will be an achievement, lets be realistic,  we have little infrastructure and even less money than a lot of other teams that we are trying to compete with. I've even stopped posting on the predictions threads as if we were playing Souths some people would expect us to win and come up with some outrageous theories as to why we would. It's time to be honest with ourselves and carry on supporting through 'thick and thin'. Can't remember how many times in the past I've left the ground saying I'm never going back to watch that *****, but somehow always end up going back, we've had plenty of worse squads than the current one so people should be grateful for what we do have and support them for what we really are, a small town team.

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2015, 04:02:33 pm
well put marra there is nothing like a sunday at the rec long may it continue.
born and bred haven.

Offline recrelad

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 21 Apr 2015, 05:22:23 pm
Its the want it now generation I'm afraid!! Unfortunately most people will only follow successful teams. The hardcore stick around through thick and thin! Keeps it interesting  :yey:

Offline brianb

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2015, 06:20:01 pm
great letter I hope some of the stayaways read it and come back to the fold, but your right threre is a lot of so called supporters who only watched haven while they were winning.

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 21 Apr 2015, 07:14:54 pm
great letter I hope some of the stayaways read it and come back to the fold, but your right threre is a lot of so called supporters who only watched haven while they were winning.
Way of the world, would man united get 70'000 every week if there where bottom end of the league doubt it
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2015, 07:42:13 pm
if you have 17 lads giving 100%, 99% of people will be happy.  That hasn't happened anywhere near enough over the last few years.

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2015, 07:45:59 pm
Way of the world, would man united get 70'000 every week if there where bottom end of the league doubt it
Newcastle are rubbish but still get 50 odd thousand every home game and they haven't won a major trophy for over 40 years

Offline branstymarra

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2015, 08:14:21 pm
while I agree with the points made by reccre may I suggest that most fans do not begrudge paying to watch a loosing team provided players give 100% effort but for those of us who are on basic pensions or low wages paying to see non performers is not an option
derek

Offline whitey12

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2015, 08:22:56 pm
Newcastle are rubbish but still get 50 odd thousand every home game and they haven't won a major trophy for over 40 years

Aye and they boo and abuse every player and manager they get.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 21 Apr 2015, 08:26:35 pm
while I agree with the points made by reccre may I suggest that most fans do not begrudge paying to watch a loosing team provided players give 100% effort but for those of us who are on basic pensions or low wages paying to see non performers is not an option
derek
Well said Derek, not everyone is lucky enough to have gotten into Sellafield before their educational clampdown.
Not everyone can afford to go every week, regardless of how well or poor the team is performing.
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #10 on: 21 Apr 2015, 08:43:08 pm
I never booed king Alan spacey ! Left that to you jealous clowns

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #11 on: 21 Apr 2015, 09:00:59 pm
I never booed king Alan spacey ! Left that to you jealous clowns
was a good night snakey from what I can remember them 2 botts of wine you bought done me in the end seen a video of me and me la marra singing there's only one geordie elvis haha class

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 21 Apr 2015, 09:02:59 pm

I meant bottom end of football league.
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline African exile

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:34:50 am
Well said Derek, not everyone is lucky enough to have gotten into Sellafield before their educational clampdown.
Not everyone can afford to go every week, regardless of how well or poor the team is performing.
[/quote]

Can you elaborate on the educational clampdown comment please Puppetmaster?
If it's a girl they're naming her Sigourney after an actress, if it's a boy the 're naming him Rodney after Dave

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 22 Apr 2015, 10:26:14 pm

Can you elaborate on the educational clampdown comment please Puppetmaster?
[/quote]

Once over you had a chance of getting in there on experience, now it appears you need to be a virtual genius to wash somebody's socks!!!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good