HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Kyle amor, lack of local talent in Cumbrian pro teams

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #30 on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:24:58 pm
I believe the ground capacity was 21000 in the 50's, there were bigger gates for the A team games than what we get now. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Offline Rodderz

• Global Moderator
  • Academy Star
Reply #31 on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:33:20 pm
I was standing next to some Wakefield fans and when John McKeown was going to take some of these kicks from ridiculous acute angles, they said there is no way that he can kick this. After he did kick them they applauded and said that he was absolutely brilliant and that they had never seen kicking that good before.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #32 on: 27 Oct 2016, 03:53:48 pm
Another problem we have is many top local amateurs don't want to sign so to put out a reasonable side we need to rely on travellers. This year we do have more locals which means many will be able to attend regular training sessions which was our big problem
Last season.

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #33 on: 27 Oct 2016, 04:05:44 pm
If I remember righly there was abit of a wind blowing too and he kicked the ball wide of the posts sometimes and the ball drifted in on the wind. If it didn't never mind because it often did. I do remember Fox shaking his head as the 4th and 5th went over. He had a lesson that day. :tip:
Allez haven

Been supporting Haven since Gus Risman stood on my new mac. My ma gave me hell!

Offline JHs Lad

• Academy Star
Reply #34 on: 27 Oct 2016, 05:23:37 pm
I was on the 1/2 way line against the rail, Fox scored a good try at the railway end which as I recall finished off any hopes we had of winning.  McKeown was superb on the day abley assisted by referee Eric Clay.  Ron Morgan on the wing rather than playing at his loose forward position also cost us dear that day. 

A day anyone there will never forget the occasion.  It was not uncommon to have gates of 3000 to 4000 for an 'A' team game in the fifties

Offline AllezHaven

• First Team Backup
Reply #35 on: 27 Oct 2016, 05:57:17 pm
I was a regular for "A" team matches. Remember seeing Bill Happy Holliday score a couple of tries and kick three goals on his debut. Wrote to the Rugby League Gazzette and tip him to captain GB. Got thatright anyway. :tip:
Allez haven

Been supporting Haven since Gus Risman stood on my new mac. My ma gave me hell!