HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Toronto Wolfpack pull out of 2020 Season

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 20 Jul 2020, 04:34:00 pm
https://www.rugby-league.com/article/56914/statement--toronto-wolfpack?fbclid=IwAR30rwRNrzX6qC-NUIh9NDxmqYLIsevDmtDeY5fh38X2YZco8481Oui4BxQ

Betfred Super League and the RFL are very disappointed to learn that Toronto Wolfpack will not be able to fulfil their obligations to Super League 2020.

Super League Europe and The RFL have been in regular dialogue over the past weeks and months regarding Wolfpack’s ability to take part in the competition and firm assurances had been received as recently as last Thursday, July 16.

The club’s decision is especially disappointing given the imminent restart of the season.

Our immediate focus is on getting the season back underway on August 2 and meeting the needs of our host broadcaster, Sky Sports.

A discussion around the longer term consequences and the future of the Wolfpack in Super League will commence shortly.
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2020, 10:13:19 am
I don't think this is fair, when the Crusaders pulled out they were demoted to Leauge 1.

Ralph Rimmer has confirmed the RFL would consider introducing Toronto back into the Championship if they are kicked out of Super League.

The governing body’s chief executive has been in contact with club officials and Super League in the hope of finding a resolution to their withdrawal from the season, as well as their pay issue that has left the club’s players and staff owed almost two months worth of wages.

The prospect of Toronto being demoted is a fear held by owner David Argyle, but would also present an issue at Championship level, with the competition’s 14 spots already filled.

With promotion and relegation off the table there will be no vacancies, but Rimmer says the RFL would look to work around the situation as it develops.

“Currently Toronto indicate they want to be in the competition in 2021 and I know they presented to clubs last Thursday,” he said.

“There will, of course, be a degree of due diligence that needs to be done to give credibility to that possibility.

“The reasons why Toronto withdrew are completely reasonable, to be honest.

“They are an overseas club who can’t play a home game; that’s a huge burden.

“Everyone has fought hard to get the Super League competition back on and the broadcast revenues are protected, but Toronto aren’t a beneficiary of those at all.

“There’s a £16 million government loan in support, but Toronto is one of the clubs that can’t access that. But my issue is the timing of the announcement, which clearly wasn’t helpful and hurt.

“The thing I’ve stressed to everybody actually, not just Super League, is where we want to be in 2022. We need to understand what Toronto may or may not be in 2021 and we will have to give consideration to that.”