HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

A few thoughts

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
on: 19 Jul 2007, 05:07:27 pm
Well folks, having been away for two weeks I returned early to get to Blackpool twenty minutes into the game only to find the game as good as over. I was deeply gutted by what I saw and can only apologise to every one that spent hard earned money to travel to Blackpool to watch the game. There is no doubt that Widnes are a class team ,their results this season show that including their rout of Castleford at The Jungle and they thoroughly deserved their win. I can understand everyone's frustration and anger and looking for a head to roll but let's be serious and put it into context. This season is far from over. We are currently third in the league and there are seven league games to go. We are down to the business end and it will not be easy but third position is achievable. Staying away from the club only damages the club. You want us to compete with Widnes and Castleford but that is not achievable on current gates.

We are looking to strengthen the team before the transfer deadline. I have only caught up with the posts on here today due to work and club commitments. I will not comment on rumours on this board as I have never done and will not start now but all I will say is that I have never read as much rubbish as what has been put on here as allegedly genuine rumours which have originated from players, directors etc etc. Instead of mischief making and spreading unsubstantiated gossip please keep the faith and get behind the club.

There are hard decisions to be made about which way the club goes. Full time is an expensive route to take and maybe not possible for the club.  The new stands will give us the additional seats we require in the short term but there are other things need doing at the ground to meet the standards required for Super League and we are fully aware of that.

The performance on Sunday was not good enough and for that I will apologise to you all, no one was more gutted by it than me, after all I have supported this club for fifty years and been through the bad times. It did not stop me going to Rec' then and would not stop me now. The last four years have seen us reach three finals something that not too long ago was beyond any of our imaginations. Let's keep the faith and help us go forward instead of giving up. There are plenty of other clubs would like to be in our position.

Des

Offline recre06

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2007, 05:19:24 pm
u got any1 in mind hu u are looking to sign?

Yourhavingalaugh

Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2007, 05:29:59 pm
Nicely put. But tell me how do you go forward with out going full time? How do you go full time without the money? How will you get more money when you know for a fact gates will drop after Sunday performance. To be truthfull Des your in a Catch 22 situation mate. if you could not have strengthened by now, you now must be realizing you have one almighty up hill battle, as I think you have lost a hell of allot of support. Also what are you going to do next season when there are more full time clubs breathing down your backs. It's going to get very competitive and I do not think Haven can keep up.

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2007, 05:39:28 pm
The way to progress is to get proper foundations in place before applying & hopefully getting a Super League franchise place

You don't need to be fulltime to get as place but will have to be afterwards but then you get Sky money etc etc

Des is correct one very poor performance should not lead to fans staying away. There are 2 clubs within a mile of where I live who would swap places with us tomorrow

Offline magnerslad

• Academy Signing
Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2007, 08:10:53 pm
why waste money on two stands that no one will sit in, why not put the money we have got to better use and knock down the jj mccewan bar, sponsers suite, offices, and build an establishment where people WILL want to go. also it will be a means of an income of 52 weeks a year  because in my opinion the two stands are on the wrong side of the field i think the words popular side speak for them selves

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2007, 09:33:42 pm
The way to progress is to get proper foundations in place before applying & hopefully getting a Super League franchise place

You don't need to be fulltime to get as place but will have to be afterwards but then you get Sky money etc etc

Des is correct one very poor performance should not lead to fans staying away. There are 2 clubs within a mile of where I live who would swap places with us tomorrow

Which is almost exactly HALF (less if they increase to 14 teams) of the ?1.6 million salary cap that some clubs are struggling to stay under, so where will the rest come from if you wish to match these clubs and not become cannon fodder!!!!     I think it's time people stopped thinking with their hearts and started using some logic.    I think Des is clutching at straws in an effort to keep the show on the tracks but I think more and more people are coming to realise that SL is no longer for small town clubs, no matter how hard you try.   I also think he knows Haven are as far forward as they ever will be but there is nothing wrong with being the best part-time team in British RL.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!