HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

2008 Season

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
on: 19 Sep 2008, 12:08:01 am
Well another season has come to an end and what a season it has been. I think we will all agree that its been one of the most entertaining on record. I would just like to give a summary of my experience throughout the season as an exile.

Under Paul Crarey we looked less than convincing throughout the Northern Rail Cup group stages despite 5 wins out of the 6. Apart from the heavy defeat at Halifax, we got through the group stages without mishap but the expansive rugby we were promised wasn't really clear to see. One of the major talking points was the sale of John Duffy to Widnes as we were struggling financially off the field.

A comfortable victory over Leigh MR in the challenge cup saw us draw french side Lezignan. So far so good as far as results were concerned.

However it was at the start of the National League campaign when we came unstuck on Good Friday at Featherstone. A 26-6 loss in blizzard conditions was hardly an ideal start. An incredible Carl Rudd conversion from the touchline into a gale force wind was the only highlight of the day.

We all thought we would make amends at home to Batley on the bank holiday Monday, but those who were there will agree that it was one of the worst defeats in recent years. The Bulldogs came out on top 19-6, even denying us a bonus point.

Whilst Paul Crarey vowed he wouldn't walk away from the job, he had to step down due to health reasons. The big question was who would take over? The BOD soon answered those questions though with the appointment of recently sacked Town boss Ged Stokes. Many die hard fans who I spoke to were shocked and angry at the appointment, some even said they wouldn't come whilst he was coach. When Ged brought Tane Manihera to the club, some even wondered if he was been paid to ruin us!

He watched from the stands as we narrowly went down 32-28 to Widnes at the Stobart Stadium despite leading until the last couple of minutes. In his first game in charge though, we were knocked out of the NRC against Oldham at Boundary Park on a bitterly cold day.

However the turning point in the season came the week after with a superb 44-18 victory over Celtic Crusaders. This was followed up with a 46-6 victory over Lezignan in the Challenge Cup which ultimately booked a clash with Wigan at the JJB Stadium. Liam Finch failed to establish himself at the club and moved back to Barrow and Richard Fletcher completed his move to Widnes.

Our first match on Sky was away at Salford and despite going down 36-6, the team were starting to play better rugby under Ged, it was clear to see.

Another 3 points were picked up at home to Leigh however a record 106-8 loss to Wigan burst the bubble. We seemed to dwell on that down at Mount Pleasant where we lost 36-20, a match I never got to due to an accident on the M6.

Then the real turnaround started. With us struggling for half backs in such a key game against Salford at home, Ged decided to play Manihera and McNally together. It was McNally's debut and the first time the pair had played together. As they say, the rest is history. We defeated Salford 26-22 in front of the Sky cameras with a Gregg McNally hat trick and 7 out of 7 conversion from Tane Manihera. All who saw it will agree it has to go down as one of the greatest games ever at the Recre.

This fantastic win was followed up with a 32-18 victory at home to Featherstone although we again failed to win down at Halifax two weeks after.

Up until this point, I had been to 10 matches and we had only won 3. Many thought I was a bad omen, however it wasn't going to stop me going to matches :P

A good 24-16 home victory over Dewsbury was followed up with a superb 32-14 victory away at Sheffield on a Friday night. Whilst this result was superb, the one that followed the week after was incredible. An excellent 26-22 victory away at Celtic Crusaders made us wonder whether we had finally overcome the Pelican Garage Syndrome.

We followed up the victory over Celtic with a home win against Halifax and everyone could tell that the team we playing for each other. However a disappointing loss at Dewsbury, a home win at Sheffield and a loss at Leigh only gave us 4 points from a potential 9.

Those who were at the Leigh match will remember the shocking conversion attempt by John Patrick which never even got off the ground (sorry but I just had to mention that!)

However now at the last match of the regular season, we needed to beat Widnes to ensure we finished at least 5th in the table. It was a nail biting encounter which we just edged 20-16. Gareth Morton should have won it for Widnes at the end but failed to collect a pass with the try line begging.

This set up an away tie against Leigh, a place where we had lost comprehensively 2 weeks earlier. Amazingly we managed to pull off a superb victory with Gregg McNally scoring the wining try at the end. It was the last ever match to be played at Hilton Park so we will go down in the record books as the last team to win there!

Everyone on here will agree that they were happy with the season after that result. Not many had given us much chance against Halifax, we didn't expect to win at all, but we did. An incredible hat trick from Gregg McNally including another length of the field effort and drop goals from Manihera and Marc Jackson gave us a 24-22 victory and put us just 80 minutes away from a Grand Final.

A quick turnaround was required for the match against Salford where unfortunately we fell short and went down 62-18. It didn't matter though. As far as I was concerned, our Grand Final was away at Halifax. Never have I seen a performance where every player was playing for each other as a team.

I would like to thank all the coaching and playing staff at the club for a truly memorable season and fantastic entertainment. Ged Stokes needs a special mention for not just steadying the ship, but nearly steering us to a Grand Final. Something no one would have imagined when he took over. We were staring at relegation at one point in the season, now we have finished 3rd to the two teams who will be playing Super League next season.

The forwards have been superb all season. Adebisi and Calvert have bagged 40 tries between them. Youngsters have been brought through in the shape of David Ford, Danny Barker, Marc Bainbridge, Chris Smith, Marc Shackley and of course our new star Gregg McNally.

I for one am extremely positive about the future and can not wait until the 2009 season!

That's just a quick summary off the top of my head, I'm sure there are lots of points I have missed. What are your favourite memories from the 2008 season?

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2008, 08:54:52 am
we have to happy , 3 games in we were only kept off the bottom by widnes having 9 points deducted, we had money issues, a new coach a lot of fans were not happy about, fletch and duffy had gone , and looked real relegation candidates

all i was looking for after that was to avoid the drop and blood some youngsters as it was likely 2/3 players would retire

well we did that and a hell of a lot more

highlight for me has to be celtic at home the way we played and seedsys on the pitch giving orders as a number 2 should ,showed that there was hope and to be honest we never looked back

yes there was the odd blip like dews away, and wigan of course

but lets not underestimate what mr stokes has achived with a patched up team(played a big part of the season with no rudd, fats, leroy,) i suggest  fans listen to his after match interview on sky to get a true insight into the character of the bloke and just how much he is up for this job

roll on 2009 a top 2 finish is well with in our grasp
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2008, 07:42:27 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2008, 07:01:00 pm
The thing I'm pleased at is the amount of youngsters we've used when short. It will only benefit us in the future and I'm looking forward to seeing a good balance of youth and experience next season.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2008, 08:36:24 pm
i think cresta deserves some praise for getting use adebisi  ;D

Offline Topfan

• Academy Signing
Reply #4 on: 19 Sep 2008, 11:27:03 pm
Cant take issue with Flannerz  in the most part , I think we have done amazingly well  given the start , which had us looking like relegation fodder in April .

So we have now been a play off  side every year since NL1 was formed and are set fair parhaps to repeat that in 2009  . However looking forward  what do people see the future  ???

Are we going to be always the best of the rest in a NL 1 where team will chase their Super league dream or should we be setting our stall out as a club to have a realsitic Chance of bidding for a Super league Licence in 2009 . Gordon Grace has already pinned his colours to this particular mast ,there no rich sugar daddy looking to invest his spare millions into Whitehaven RLFC

So the only alternative is for the club to grow organically , engaging the Copeland or even West Cumbrian community as a whole to feed that growth  . My perception is that off-the-feild we have stood still for several years now - the clubs Community deveopement work has lost its high profile since the departure of Alan Davidson , developing the Business side of the club , growing the lotterys , increasing the Sponsorship portfolio .

Am i being too harsh or do you feel the club should set its sights higher and strive to be better than it can be now both on and off the field

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2008, 11:52:42 am
Unfortunately the club are still a million miles from Super League.  If a genuine bid is to be put forward for 2011 then a huge amount of work needs to be done and Topfan is correct, most of this work is required off the field.  To be seriously considered for Super League the average crowd would have to at least double over the next three years. 

It's not rocket science, just look at what Hull KR achieved via an intelligent, sustained marketing campaign!  It really is time for the people of Whitehaven to decide if they want a Super League team, because if there is no sugar daddy or Major sponsor with money to burn, then the only way the dream can be realised is if people come through the turnstiles week in week out.  A redeveloped ground with better facilities will help, but not, on its own drag the extra required support into the ground.

People in the town need to realise that it is no longer up to the team to get the Club into Super league, it is up to the people of the town themselves, aided and abetted by a professional BoD!!!!!  We realistically have two years to put everything in place, the campaign needs to start now!!!

Haven for Super League 2011!!!!!
[/size]
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2008, 05:36:01 pm
Unfortunately the club are still a million miles from Super League.  If a genuine bid is to be put forward for 2011 then a huge amount of work needs to be done and Topfan is correct, most of this work is required off the field.  To be seriously considered for Super League the average crowd would have to at least double over the next three years. 

It's not rocket science, just look at what Hull KR achieved via an intelligent, sustained marketing campaign!  It really is time for the people of Whitehaven to decide if they want a Super League team, because if there is no sugar daddy or Major sponsor with money to burn, then the only way the dream can be realised is if people come through the turnstiles week in week out.  A redeveloped ground with better facilities will help, but not, on its own drag the extra required support into the ground.

People in the town need to realise that it is no longer up to the team to get the Club into Super league, it is up to the people of the town themselves, aided and abetted by a professional BoD!!!!!  We realistically have two years to put everything in place, the campaign needs to start now!!!

Haven for Super League 2011!!!!!
[/size]

What a superb post. Hull KR are the classic example really of what can be achieved by investing off the field. We have been highly competitve on the field for numerous years so for us to stand any chance we need to concentrate more on off the field activities. However it all comes down to whether the people of Whitehaven really want it and if they want it enough

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2008, 11:59:03 am
So then how did my predictions go this season?

After two league games my predictions took a bit of a battering from certain people, so how did I do?

Prediction 1
I said we would score 11 wins, we got 10, quite close!

Prediction 2
I said we would finish with 36 points, we got 32, again not far off!

Prediction 3
I said we would finish 4th or 5th, 5th it was!

Prediction 4
We would get to the last four in the playoffs, we got to the last three! Bonus!

Prediction 5
We should give all players and coaches there chance to show what they can do before slagging them off at every given opportunity before they have done anything. On this one I think I did very well! Ged, Tane, Makisi and Gorski all came good for us. A number of the young lads stepped up to the plate and got some vital experience and of course McNally! The only one that failed to work out was Gambles ???

Prediction 6
No single player is bigger than the club! A number of fans thought that the loss of Smith, Lester, Maden, Trindall, Duffy and Fletcher would lead to complete meltdown and relegation. I rest my case on this one  ;D

So overall I think that my predictions did quite well as did the team (Well Done lads!). The only major concern I have at the moment is of the BOD and their lack of activity on a number of fronts. I've given them their chance and at the moment the jury is definitely still out on that one.

Roll on 2009!!!!!

Offline arfwayliner

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2008, 05:20:28 pm
Having not made it to any away league games this year...the high point was the home snottering of Celtic...and the fact that finally, with Ged Stokes and I was far from convinced in his signing, has been the use of some of our juniors in key games and they've responded well.

It already looks like we're building for 2009 too so positive things.