HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Gordan Grace and Current board

Offline arfwayliner

• Academy Star
Reply #30 on: 05 Oct 2008, 10:15:49 am
 ;D

These two guys on their own have done wonders this season.  Who'd have believed after that embarassment on Easter Monday against Batterley we'd have been one game from the GF? No one.
Maybe when NMP have got to grips with running the sellafield site someone from URS will be co-opted on to the board to see how their sponsorship can be maximised.  They need some support from other local businessmen.  I wonder if some are interested but when you look back at the highs of 04 and 05 realise how much commitment, time and money, is required to better that position.

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #31 on: 05 Oct 2008, 12:44:10 pm
I have said it before on here, the possibilities to tap into the rich resources 12 miles down the road should have been explored long ago, and with the right people at the helm, we could be one of the wealthiest clubs in the league.

The current and old boards do communicate with the 'resources 12 mile down then road" and have done for a long time.
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #32 on: 05 Oct 2008, 03:31:41 pm
Thats good to hear Neil, lets hope they are listening and we can reap some rewards.

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #33 on: 05 Oct 2008, 04:13:36 pm
It never ceases to amaze me, some of the comments on this board.
The only problem , imo, is that the current BOD is not big enough. Two blokes cannot run a club like Whitehaven long term and more expertise is required in certain fields to move us forward.
Even if the new BOD members haven't got hard cash to inject, they could offer other expertise i.e marketing and communication.
As a club, Haven, and Town to a certain extent, have failed to adapt to change and haven't moved with the times like other clubs. We seemed to have missed a trick on several fronts over the years.
I'm sure the current regime have considered this, but wouldn't it benefit the club by having a member of, say, Washington International on board, after all , Whitehaven RLFC is a business, with the same challenges other businesses have.
I have said it before on here, the possibilities to tap into the rich resources 12 miles down the road should have been explored long ago, and with the right people at the helm, we could be one of the wealthiest clubs in the league.

Having 2 board members (or 3 if that lady from the council is still hanging around) is not enough to move the club forward. However, we seem to have a tendancy of 're-cycling' board members and externally it seems to suggest that Whitehaven RLFC is run as an 'old-boys club'.

First of all our 2 current directors have done a fantastic job this season FULL STOP. However do they have the necessary experience to drive the club forward, that is the six-million dollar question.

Whom I am is unimportant, however I have offered my services twice to the board.

On the first occasion, I met with a previous board member and subsequently provided him with some ideas to drive forward the club. That board member duly presented some of the ideas to the rest of the board and tried unsuccesfully to implement them. At no time did he come back to me for assistance.

On the second occasion, when the club were in financial difficulties, before the change of directors, I left 3 messages on a previous directors mobile answerphone and they did not have the decency to return any of my calls.

As I say it does seems to give the impression externally that the club is run like an 'old-boys club'.

Having offered my services free of charge, whilst currently being a director of 2 other companies, I am not prepared to continually chase the directors offering my services.

I have now taken the attitude, they know who I am and if they want my help, then they can contact me.

Incidentally, if the current directors don't know who I am, then Billy Rudd can point you in my direction.

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #34 on: 05 Oct 2008, 04:53:31 pm
The only problem , imo, is that the current BOD is not big enough. Two blokes cannot run a club like Whitehaven long term and more expertise is required in certain fields to move us forward.
Even if the new BOD members haven't got hard cash to inject, they could offer other expertise i.e marketing and communication.
As a club, Haven, and Town to a certain extent, have failed to adapt to change and haven't moved with the times like other clubs. We seemed to have missed a trick on several fronts over the years.
I'm sure the current regime have considered this, but wouldn't it benefit the club by having a member of, say, Washington International on board, after all , Whitehaven RLFC is a business, with the same challenges other businesses have.

Having 2 board members (or 3 if that lady from the council is still hanging around) is not enough to move the club forward. However, we seem to have a tendancy of 're-cycling' board members and externally it seems to suggest that Whitehaven RLFC is run as an 'old-boys club'.

First of all our 2 current directors have done a fantastic job this season FULL STOP. However do they have the necessary experience to drive the club forward, that is the six-million dollar question.

Whom I am is unimportant, however I have offered my services twice to the board.

On the first occasion, I met with a previous board member and subsequently provided him with some ideas to drive forward the club. That board member duly presented some of the ideas to the rest of the board and tried unsuccesfully to implement them. At no time did he come back to me for assistance.

On the second occasion, when the club were in financial difficulties, before the change of directors, I left 3 messages on a previous directors mobile answerphone and they did not have the decency to return any of my calls.

As I say it does seems to give the impression externally that the club is run like an 'old-boys club'.

Having offered my services free of charge, whilst currently being a director of 2 other companies, I am not prepared to continually chase the directors offering my services.

I have now taken the attitude, they know who I am and if they want my help, then they can contact me.

Incidentally, if the current directors don't know who I am, then Billy Rudd can point you in my direction.

It begs the question Manc Marra as to why your offers of help have been ignored?  (And in that question, I am not questioning yourself or your motives)

As you state you are the Director of 2 other companies and obviously had viable proposals AND were willing to give your time for FREE!  If this is the case (and I am not doubting you for one moment) why was this not taken advantage of by those in power at the Recreation Ground?

This is the sort of help and guidance that cannot be afforded to be thrown away.  Your credability can be verified by someone close to the club so therefore you were not given the courtesy of a "No Thank you" or a "Thanks mate, lets hear what you have to say"

Why are we turning away those kinds of offers of help?  It doesn't make sense?

I am not knocking the current BOD either,  as stated many a time on here they got us out of a deep hole and every opportunity to help keep us out of that hole should be explored and expanded upon. 

It truly beggars belief that this has happened.  We cannot truly be ignoring this.  Many a time has it been stated on this forum that offers of help will be gratefully received, yet this disproves that theory.

I don't know the answer, only those that have not returned your calls and not taken advantage of your offers, but I do hope you get those answers and now with your post, other loyal supporters will be surely asking the question why.

Communication is the key and that is our downfall as Mancunian Marra's information clarifies that.

MrsHW

๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #35 on: 05 Oct 2008, 05:25:03 pm
Thankyou for your kind words Mrs HW.

The offers made to the previous BOD still stand. As I have said previously, if the current BOD wish to meet with me, they either already know who I am, or know how they can get hold of me.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #36 on: 05 Oct 2008, 05:45:43 pm

Well if this post wings its way to the BOD as fast as the Ade Thread did the other day you should have a reply forewith. We will wait and see.

HW

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #37 on: 05 Oct 2008, 07:42:45 pm
I am not , for one minute , knocking what the current BOD have done for our club, on the contrary, they have done brilliantly. However, If what Mancunian.marra says is correct, then this proves that we are not willing to listen to new ideas to take the club forward.
I have no idea  what Mancunian.marras credentials are, but surely if he has made the effort to offer his expertise, in whichever field he operates, it should be given the chance to be aired.
Afterall, 'every little helps', as someone keeps saying!

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #38 on: 05 Oct 2008, 07:49:36 pm
However, If what Mancunian.marra says is correct, then this proves that we are not willing to listen to new ideas to take the club forward.

From my own experience, I can vouch for that...

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #39 on: 05 Oct 2008, 08:54:31 pm
Thankyou for your kind words Mrs HW.

The offers made to the previous BOD still stand. As I have said previously, if the current BOD wish to meet with me, they either already know who I am, or know how they can get hold of me.

not having a go at you here manc marra, but if the current board dont know who you are, how can they know how to contact you?

it is very scary that the old board refused help, especially if it was free!!

i'll take owt for nowt me!! and i dont even run a rugby club!!

the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good