HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Barrow Potential for SL Vrs Whitehavens

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
on: 06 Apr 2009, 07:02:00 pm
What does Sundays Barrow Vrs Wigan crowd tell us about their SL potential ?

One things for sure, haven would not have drawn a 6,300 gate if they had been the ones Wigan played on Sunday.

Suggest on present potential for financial liquidity via gate receipts, Barrow are miles ahead of haven, something which would have to be turned around big style if we were to persue a SL dream in West Cumbria.

Bet Barrow are better set up on other financial streams too, their signing potential certainly seems to suggests so.

Boy oh boy, have we a long way to go !! >:( >:(

« Last Edit: 06 Apr 2009, 07:06:54 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 06 Apr 2009, 07:09:32 pm
Good points and I think you are pretty much spot on. However take Des out of the equation and where does it leave them? Before any Barrow fans shout me down and say he's not going anywhere and he's committed blah blah... I'm not saying it for that reason.

What I mean is, if Haven had a backer who has some finances, the ambition and some clout to get things done (which Des seems to), then I think we would be in a similar position.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 06 Apr 2009, 08:01:21 pm
I  would  agree  to  a  certain  extent  but  not  completely.  Firstly  how  many  Wigan  fans  made  the  trip. Quite  a  few  I  would  have  thought.  Looking  at  their  gate  attendances  it  not  that  much  better  than  ours.  Mostly  about  1300-1500.  When  we  played  Cas  to  win  the  league  we  pulled  in  6500.  Against  Warrington  in  the  CC  it  was  close  to  6000.

I  would  agree  throwing  money  at  players  does  help  but  in  the  long  run  could  lead  to  financial  disaster.  How  many  sides  over  the  years  have  gone  down  that  route.  Barrow  are  basically  reliant  on  1  man  and  when  he  goes  where  does  it  leave  them.

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 06 Apr 2009, 09:40:30 pm
I recall a bloke (Craig Harrison I think) bank rolling doncaster into the top league (probably 94/95 season), the season jamie bloem played for them (with subsequent drugs ban) then he pulled the plug a few weeks into the season and doncaster have been struggling ever since.  I don't think teams that have struggling for 20 years in the lower reaches of part timer rugby should be allowed into super league just because they have a sugar daddy?  Its hardly a business plan.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 06 Apr 2009, 09:50:14 pm
I  would  agree  to  a  certain  extent  but  not  completely.  Firstly  how  many  Wigan  fans  made  the  trip. Quite  a  few  I  would  have  thought.  Looking  at  their  gate  attendances  it  not  that  much  better  than  ours.  Mostly  about  1300-1500.  When  we  played  Cas  to  win  the  league  we  pulled  in  6500.  Against  Warrington  in  the  CC  it  was  close  to  6000.

I  would  agree  throwing  money  at  players  does  help  but  in  the  long  run  could  lead  to  financial  disaster.  How  many  sides  over  the  years  have  gone  down  that  route.  Barrow  are  basically  reliant  on  1  man  and  when  he  goes  where  does  it  leave  them.

barra's league gates this season have both been over 1900, ours have just been over 1200, quite a bit better than ours
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Monte2carlo

Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2009, 10:05:48 pm
A big difference between our game when we won the league and the Barraa v Wigan game is that Wigan got 1600 free ticket.

Its still good for Cumbrian Rugby that both sides can attract over 6k gates for big games

Monte :tip:

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2009, 05:30:59 am

barra's league gates this season have both been over 1900, ours have just been over 1200, quite a bit better than ours

I  was  including  the  NRC  as  well  and  it  shows  2  gates  at  about  a  1000  +  1  well  under.  There's  only  1  over  1900.  The  other  1800.  I  would  agree  though  its  much  better  than  ours  if we  just  look  at  the  proper  league.  Also  they  play  Saturdays  which  I'm  beginning  to  favour :)

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2009, 02:14:03 pm
Barrow's home attendances this season ....

Keighley (NRC) 1,311
Widnes (NRC) 1,563
Blackpool (CC) 1,187
Doncaster (Champ) 1,809
Halifax (Champ) 1,918
Wigan (CC) 6,275

No crowds under 1,000 (except friendly games)

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 07 Apr 2009, 09:24:12 pm
can't see us beating mighty barrow

Monte2carlo

Reply #9 on: 07 Apr 2009, 10:23:57 pm
No, we might aswell just give them the three points. As they are the biggest club outside of SL.  :D

Monte :tip:

IpswichSteve

Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2009, 08:31:58 pm

Keighley (NRC) 1,311
Widnes (NRC) 1,563
Blackpool (CC) 1,187
Doncaster (Champ) 1,809
Halifax (Champ) 1,918
Wigan (CC) 6,275

You shouldn't bother the Wreckry boys with such simple
things as facts, only confuse them.  :nod:

The jealousy of Barrow is quite amusing, they always have
to be in someone's shadow.

Good luck Barra show them who is Cumbria's No.1., even though
the fixtures have worked in their favour, don't see Doris complaining
now, oh what a surprise. Only moan when your losing..

A tedious and unoriginal reply about Town being Cumbria's No. 27 should
amuse me no end.   ::) Or even better slagging off DDR. Where is
Tarzan these days?

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2009, 08:44:54 pm
DIPSTICK STEVE the only thing we are jealous of is the fact they have more money than us as for anything else naaaaaa
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #12 on: 09 Apr 2009, 08:45:21 am
Hey Dipsticks back ....

As an ex town (and haven) supporter, I have to tell you that I spent some considerable time looking for a shadow coming from 'town, but only found the ghost of a cumbrian club who have lost their way and are now run by people who can't be bothered finding the road map back to even a minor level of success.

Perhaps if they followed the example set by the other Cumbrian clubs they would not be in the dire position they now find themselves.

Good luck to town, but I fear it may now be all too late to turn what some town supporters still mistakenly see as a 'slumbering giant' out of it's comfortable bed.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 09 Apr 2009, 08:43:15 pm

Keighley (NRC) 1,311
Widnes (NRC) 1,563
Blackpool (CC) 1,187
Doncaster (Champ) 1,809
Halifax (Champ) 1,918
Wigan (CC) 6,275

You shouldn't bother the Wreckry boys with such simple
things as facts, only confuse them
:nod:

The jealousy of Barrow is quite amusing, they always have
to be in someone's shadow.

Good luck Barra show them who is Cumbria's No.1., even though
the fixtures have worked in their favour, don't see Doris complaining
now, oh what a surprise. Only moan when your losing..

A tedious and unoriginal reply about Town being Cumbria's No. 27 should
amuse me no end.   ::) Or even better slagging off DDR. Where is
Tarzan these days?

the only FACT you need to concern yourself with ipswich steve, is the FACT that we are in The championship and town aren't!!!

as for showing us who's cumbria's no.1, that will be haven wont it? seeing as we are unbeaten and top of the league at the moment!!! :tip: :tip:

town cumbrias no 27????????????? dont flatter yourselves!!!! ;D ;D ;D

many thanks, now goodnight :tip:
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

IpswichSteve

Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2009, 06:03:55 pm

as for showing us who's cumbria's no.1, that will be haven wont it? seeing as we are unbeaten and top of the league at the moment!!! :tip: :tip:

Just got that post in on time hey?  :D  Three wins against poor
opposition dear boy, but you still couldn't beat a tired Barra side.

Barra - Cumbria's No.1 and you know it.  :nod:

same old big mac always biting.  ;)