HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

radford beats fielden in charity bout

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
on: 03 Feb 2007, 10:04:23 pm
Hull captain Lee Radford beat Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden in their "Rumble by the Humber" charity boxing match in aid of Steve Prescott.
The fight helped to raise more than ?50,000 for former St Helens full-back Prescott, who has been diagnosed with a rare form of stomach cancer.

"The fight was irrelevant. Look at the big picture and what we've done for Steve and his family," said Radford.

Radford won after the referee stopped the fight early in the second round.

After an even opening round, Radford landed a series of punches straight from the bell in the second, prompting the referee to step in.

Fielden was unhappy with the referee's intervention, but quickly put his defeat into perspective.

The whole family of rugby league has pulled together for Steve

Stuart Fielden

"I wondered what the referee was doing when he stepped in," said Fielden.

"I felt OK to carry on, but obviously he didn't agree. To say I am disappointed is an understatement - but it's not about that.

"It's not about me, and it's not about Radders either.

"It's about the result in the end - the big result. And that was achieved.

"The whole family of rugby league has pulled together for Steve, and that few minutes we've just given out of our lives is not a lot, is it?

"Steve has now got a massive fight, 10 times harder than that, but if anyone can do it, it is Steve with the character he has got.

"I was massively disappointed after being beaten, and my pride was hurting, but when Steve comes into the ring - and it's an effort for him - and comes up to me and says 'thanks', what can I offer compared to the way he feels?

"I think everybody is hoping and praying he can turn it around - and if anyone can, he can."

The event also featured an undercard featuring professional boxing, a set from comedian Mike Lodge, speeches from rugby league legends and an auction including sporting memorabilia.

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline haven lad born and bread

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 04 Mar 2007, 08:00:15 pm
FEilden isn't a hard mam he just a big girls bowls thats the 2nd time now isn't it lol  :D

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2007, 02:04:41 pm
The fight was not the point it was to raise money