Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:50:57 pm
a pitch with a running track around it  no thanks
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:29:12 pm
''We are not in the business of mergers between clubs, it would have to be a new team playing here, a Cumbrian one rather than say Whitehaven, Workington or Barrow''

Absolute pie in the sky!

I wouldnt be bothered where the stadium was if we were to manage to build one. This fella however talks absolute rhubarb.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:38:56 pm
''We are not in the business of mergers between clubs, it would have to be a new team playing here, a Cumbrian one rather than say Whitehaven, Workington or Barrow''

Absolute pie in the sky!

I wouldnt be bothered where the stadium was if we were to manage to build one. This fella however talks absolute rhubarb.

You may think so, but the team they have in charge up there have turned the place around. They have people queueing up to use the place. They have had Thousands of Pounds of grants.

HW

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:40:47 pm
No squash courts - I'm out  >:(
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:19:35 pm
Certainly is very interesting to read, not sure if it will ever happen though. Maybe one of the reasons this has been done is to simply get key people around the table and discuss the viability of a Cumbria Super League team? Without a stadium the idea is nothing, with a stadium then it puts a totally different complexion on things.

Online Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2009, 06:52:57 pm
I think that has more possibilities than the Rec ever being redeveloped in the next 5 - 6 years and if they did manage to get together a new rugby league club it would have my support. 

Bkm, your remark and thinking about a pitch with a running track around it is out of date.    All stadiums now have to be able to provide facilities for every day use not just once a fortnight for a single team to play there.   That is how they stay viable.    Imagine the income from an International Athletics meeting with some of the worlds top athletics stars performing there.  The Halliwell-Jones stadium at Warrington is used every week day by the local health authority with physio and health care departments for instance.   Okay it may be a bit further from the pitch but at least it is a modern stadium fit for purpose!!!

Even if the Rec does get developed, do you imagine that it will reamin for the sole use of Haven?    To get the money that they require it would have to be a community facility being used in the way that they are suggesting for the Sports Academy.   
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:00:44 pm
I think that has more possibilities than the Rec ever being redeveloped in the next 5 - 6 years and if they did manage to get together a new rugby league club it would have my support. 

Bkm, your remark and thinking about a pitch with a running track around it is out of date.    All stadiums now have to be able to provide facilities for every day use not just once a fortnight for a single team to play there.   That is how they stay viable.    Imagine the income from an International Athletics meeting with some of the worlds top athletics stars performing there.  The Halliwell-Jones stadium at Warrington is used every week day by the local health authority with physio and health care departments for instance.   Okay it may be a bit further from the pitch but at least it is a modern stadium fit for purpose!!!

Even if the Rec does get developed, do you imagine that it will reamin for the sole use of Haven?    To get the money that they require it would have to be a community facility being used in the way that they are suggesting for the Sports Academy.

last time i looked HJS didnt have a track around it??
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:21:42 pm
I would hate to leave the rec, but im all for this. Like all new stadiums new/lost fans would initially come back to the club, the magical SL stadium box would be ticked and i could see a certain buzz back abiout Haven.

Cons could be losing matchday income, but as the development would be paid for with grants rather than public/private money i would hope this would be minimal if not nil
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:38:28 pm
it would have to be a new team playing here, a Cumbrian one rather than say Whitehaven, Workington or Barrow.

Offline cano

• Academy Star
  • Haven in the Maldives
Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2009, 07:45:18 pm
Time for Dick, Ralph & Co. to go public with any counter proposals the club may have regarding development of the Rec. I definitely do not want to leave our present home but we need to see something positive happening sooner rather than later.

Online Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2009, 08:19:10 pm

last time i looked HJS didnt have a track around it??

I never said that it did if you read what I wrote.    I was merely illustrating that stadiums have to have extra usage not just for one team to play once a fortnight.

I can see how you thought that bkm.   The last sentence in that paragraph should have come before the sentence about the HJS.    I was meaning the Sports Academy would be a bit further from the pitch but a nice new modern stadium.
« Last Edit: 30 Sep 2009, 09:21:37 pm by Keith »
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Monte2carlo

Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2009, 08:58:06 pm
Looking at the picture shown in the paper it looks amazing. I hope the Rec will look as appealing when or if it ever gets modernised

Monte

Offline arfwayliner

• Academy Star
Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:16:37 pm
There was only ever a handful of athletics events there...it would be great to see more but I just can't see it...there aren't enough punters.  But I'd be happy to see either the Haven there on reasonable rental terms or a SL cumbria team...progress and change for the better

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2009, 09:49:17 pm
It will never come off. Looks nice from an artists impression but as already said its pie in the sky stuff.

Main concern though is the running track round it. Take away that then I'd be all in favour. If not you'd be miles away from the pitch and the atmoshere would be not existant with say 1500 there. Also expect to pay sky high prices for food and beverages. Nice idea but no thanks. Do up the Rec where there's already 500K pledged.