HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

New Stadium For Whitehaven!!

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #15 on: 30 Sep 2009, 11:07:19 pm
If you have a track round a stadium, be it football or rugby, you have a weaker atmosphere. FACT.

Haven have survived on home form since the beginning of time so imagine having better teams coming up to use nice new facilities and less intimidating atmosphere? Quite a few of our great wins would be chalked off right away.

Keith, sorry, but you're talking crap. Ask Juventus fans or Bayern Munich if they liked having a track between them and their fans - they couldn't generate an atmosphere and they get slightly more fans than Haven, Town, Cumbria Crackheads or Brisbane bloody broncos could playing at Hensingham!!

Monte2carlo

Reply #16 on: 01 Oct 2009, 06:56:59 am
I think that has more possibilities than the Rec ever being redeveloped in the next 5 - 6 years and if they did manage to get together a new rugby league club it would have my support. 

Bkm, your remark and thinking about a pitch with a running track around it is out of date.    All stadiums now have to be able to provide facilities for every day use not just once a fortnight for a single team to play there.   That is how they stay viable.    Imagine the income from an International Athletics meeting with some of the worlds top athletics stars performing there.  The Halliwell-Jones stadium at Warrington is used every week day by the local health authority with physio and health care departments for instance.   Okay it may be a bit further from the pitch but at least it is a modern stadium fit for purpose!!!

Even if the Rec does get developed, do you imagine that it will reamin for the sole use of Haven?    To get the money that they require it would have to be a community facility being used in the way that they are suggesting for the Sports Academy.

Shush Keith or you'll upset the locals  ;D A stadium with more than one use thats madness

Monte :tip:

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 01 Oct 2009, 08:28:45 am
It will never come off. Looks nice from an artists impression but as already said its pie in the sky stuff.

Main concern though is the running track round it. Take away that then I'd be all in favour. If not you'd be miles away from the pitch and the atmoshere would be not existant with say 1500 there. Also expect to pay sky high prices for food and beverages. Nice idea but no thanks. Do up the Rec where there's already 500K pledged.

How can you take the track away, its already in place!

HW

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #18 on: 01 Oct 2009, 10:31:33 am
It will never come off. Looks nice from an artists impression but as already said its pie in the sky stuff.

Main concern though is the running track round it. Take away that then I'd be all in favour. If not you'd be miles away from the pitch and the atmoshere would be not existant with say 1500 there. Also expect to pay sky high prices for food and beverages. Nice idea but no thanks. Do up the Rec where there's already 500K pledged.

Easy. Just rip it up. Its not that wide a pitch anyhow so you could extend the field and bring in the stands a bit nearer....simple. Anyhow when is it ever used for athletics. I can't remember when they had a decent meeting.

Also drainage isn't very good.

How can you take the track away, its already in place!

HW

justonelilpoint

Reply #19 on: 01 Oct 2009, 02:47:24 pm
as far as i can see they have hired some architects to draw up some plans..even whitehavenR.L themselves had those for a new stand 6-7 years ago.
They havent discussed any funding for it..thats why they want meetings.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #20 on: 01 Oct 2009, 03:20:50 pm
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

justonelilpoint

Reply #21 on: 01 Oct 2009, 03:24:32 pm
Yep a pitch thats used about 20 days for 1st team and reserves out of 365..bit daft isnt it
Cracking post by Yanto on Town message board about the dutch towns facilities Keith  :)

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #22 on: 01 Oct 2009, 03:29:42 pm
Yep a pitch thats used about 20 days for 1st team and reserves out of 365..bit daft isnt it
Cracking post by Yanto on Town message board about the dutch towns facilities Keith  :)

As I said on Town site, it seems that everywhere else seems to get the whole community behind them with these sort of things and get things moving.   I think Ian (yanto) may have a point about there not being the pub culture that we have and everyone meets at the clubs for their drinks.   It seems to bring people together more.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

justonelilpoint

Reply #23 on: 01 Oct 2009, 03:34:35 pm
Its the getting off your back side and doing it bit that i like..not sitting waiting for it to drop into your lap.
In 20 months we have now got a new scoreboard that will be one of the best outside Superleague because some of as a group decided to do something for ourselves and just got on with it. :)

Offline rockerlad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #24 on: 01 Oct 2009, 06:32:23 pm
14000 capacity tho, what the hell is the point in that, what is havens average 1500ish, that would be crap in a ground like that.

You are better off trying to get the rec done up.
Workington AFC - The Pride Of Cumbria
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/workingtonafc/
Football Score Cast - PM Me For Details

Offline haven haven

• Academy Signing
Reply #25 on: 02 Oct 2009, 10:49:29 am
i think you have to have at least a 12000 capacity stadium for super league
i also think the council has too much invested in the pow beck project to consider a stadium anywhere else and the artists impression of the stadium at the rec looked equally impressive

Offline boygenius

• Academy Signing
Reply #26 on: 05 Oct 2009, 08:00:44 am
no offence, but anyone who thinks the atmosphere at the rec is anything short of awful WITHOUT a track is insane...

a track does not generate the atmosphere, the fans do, and haven fans just dont cut it anymore....have not for a long time

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #27 on: 05 Oct 2009, 06:37:34 pm
Year after year the Rec and Pow Beck development drags on and on and nothing atall actually happens.

Anyone who has any confidence in it coming off anytime in the next few years can only be decribed as a super optimist, as there is absolutly no evidence that any progress whatsoever is being made.

Words pile up on words, with no real progress and we see more and more people with their fingers in the pie.

Now we have an alternative group, with an alternative plan and alternative funding routes lined up. How a town the size of Whitehaven can become ensnarled in two proposals for two different stadia, based on essentially different useage criteria, starts to sound like a recipe for disaster to me.

'Falling between two stools' is a phrase which initially comes to mind, however neither of the stools actually exists, so I don't think I should be too bothered either way.

Anyone want to place a small bet with me that nowt significant actually happens over the the next six years in either stadia direction (i.e. bricks and morter rather than hot air and paper based dreams)??
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2009, 08:53:11 pm by cbandg01 »

itchy waa waa

Reply #28 on: 05 Oct 2009, 06:40:12 pm
sales rep were i work as been speaking to ppl, and he as told me work will be starting, but yet no dates given

justonelilpoint

Reply #29 on: 05 Oct 2009, 07:12:48 pm
There is a compulsory purchase order currently in on Miners land by the council..how can anything be announced or moved on while this is ongoing?
Yes it has dragged on, But lets see what happens when the outcome of this is announced.