HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Attendances

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2010, 02:14:42 pm
Maybe people just dont want it any more.......

What's the point of this reserve league with no real prize for winning, standing in a derelict stadium watching a few small town heroes get some cash for Gallachers later. People have got better things to do than they had years ago and watching that isn't at the top of the list anymore.

:o Thought I might present the alternative view in order to create a more balanced discussion.

Why have a pop at the reserves. I think your a bit below the belt with your comments. 'small town heroes playing for cash for Gallachers'. These lads are the future of Haven who without them wouldn't have a team.  After hearing how the Leeds lads were looked after by their club on Sunday, in comparison it shows that our lads are committed to the love of the game and not the money.
Here's what went on.

1. At half time Haven reserves had to stand outside in cold miserable weather as the first team were in the changing rooms.  Leeds had another building to go to. HOW NICE
2. As soon as the final whistle blew the Leeds players immediately had fluid replacement drinks etc, brought onto the field. Ours didn't.

Now tell me they do it for a few measly quid for Gallachers.

Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2010, 04:05:39 pm
Have you finished? ok:

1. I was giving an alternative point of view to the people who come on here - i.e. not the hardcore supporters view.

2. I was talking about NL1 not the 'official reserves' - making reference to the fact that the dual registration set up means that this is now a glorified Super League reserve league.

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2010, 05:11:08 pm
No probs mate, i apologise for taking it the wrong way. However, when you read it over there is physically no personal mention of NL1 or the dual registration set up. I'm just a bit baffled as to why you would say 'watching a few small town heroes getting some cash for Gallachers'. It didn't seem appropriate.
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2010, 06:42:55 pm
Don't worry peeps, we'll beat Town comfortably and everything will be rosey again. I hate to say it but I hope we don't thrash Town as it will simply distract from the truth and paper over the cracks.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2010, 07:54:58 pm
I think the powers that be need to consider bringing back family tickets and really try and entice fans for our opening league fixture. After all Toulouse won't bring many over so its not like we can rely on away support to boost the gate. Going round all the local school giving out free tickets would be a start.

They've got month to organise something so they've no excuse unless they want 800 per game to be the norm.............

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #20 on: 16 Feb 2010, 09:46:55 am
I was talking to someone in Barrow the other day and 'Des' is telling friends he has been told Barrow are 100%, and then stressing the 100%,getting the SL place due to 'expansion' ( yeah cos RL hasnt been played here for 100 years has it?)
Any Cumbrian club would be an 'expansion' to Super League and at the end of the day that's all they are bothered about.

As for Barrow being 100% nailed on - I doubt that we have a 10% chance to be honest.  Our chances go up if the RFL decide to 'relegate' 2 clubs from SL (and accept 2 from the Championship), but I doubt very much that will happen.

Looking at Salford's attendances, they must surely be in the firing line at present.  Quins and Crusaders will never be dropped.

Offline SRC

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 16 Feb 2010, 09:47:22 am
I was talking to someone in Barrow the other day and 'Des' is telling friends he has been told Barrow are 100%, and then stressing the 100%,getting the SL place due to 'expansion' ( yeah cos RL hasnt been played here for 100 years has it?)

so lets be crap, get relegated and at least we can then dream of winning a league and getting promotion!

Offline HeyJathon

• Academy Star
Reply #22 on: 16 Feb 2010, 01:35:01 pm
Few obvious factors for low attendances

1) It's bitterly cold
2) It's the ten bob cup, which we normally experiment with the team in
3) Jan/Feb most people are still recovering from Christmas
4) There's a plethora of sport on Sky of a Sunday afternoon
Eagles sore but weasels don't get caught in jet engines!

Offline haven94

• Haven Immortal
Reply #23 on: 16 Feb 2010, 02:02:38 pm
Few obvious factors for low attendances

1) It's bitterly cold
2) It's the ten bob cup, which we normally experiment with the team in
3) Jan/Feb most people are still recovering from Christmas
4) There's a plethora of sport on Sky of a Sunday afternoon
i dont think the fans think of it as a ten bob cup. it wasnt when we took 10,000 to blackpool i wouldnt be going if i heard the coaches wernt taking it serious and i think our board want us to do well we need a good cup run financially :nod: :nod: :nod:
born and bred haven.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #24 on: 16 Feb 2010, 02:44:50 pm
Our club is possibly in the worst financial postion it has ever been in, 3 to 4 years ago we were achieving 2100 fans through the gates for matches we are currently getting 800 paying fans, the lottery was booming, match day sponsorship suite was full to capacity each week this as gone. Our  club now as more managers and flunkies than it as ever had and they are under performing in marketing the club.
To sit on your hands and declare we have no money to draft in players may be true, however sometimes you have got to invest further to buy your way out of a downward spiral, buying a few key players in order to restore interest and support in the club may be the answer?

agree with every word couldn't have put it better
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline kiss the snake

• Fans Favourite
Reply #25 on: 16 Feb 2010, 05:14:06 pm

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #26 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:48:51 pm
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #27 on: 16 Feb 2010, 06:51:10 pm
Noticed we had no one using the sponsor suite during the Batley game. All lights off and locked up.

Gotta agree the only way to bring back the lost fans is to invest buts its a huge gamble. Do we bring in say 5 quality players at 20K each and hope it gets the turnstiles clicking or keep cutting back and having 800 watching a mediocre team.

Knowitall hit 1 nail on the head. Just how many coaches do we have. GS, Seedsy, Fats ?? Hewer, D Smith and I'm sure there's 1 or 2 more.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #28 on: 16 Feb 2010, 08:22:42 pm
Its a difficult one we need a new stadium and those in control are throwing everything into getting that sorted out fingers crossed  BUT equally we need to be careful that we dont lose sight of why we want a stadium ..namely so we can watch a decent Rugby team play against decent opposition.

People have said it before on here if we get relegated then the stadium wont matter becasue the crowds turning up will be 600 or so.  You look at our first five league games and with the exception of Toulose (h) assuming they start badley again- you wonder where the wins will come with the current team.   Problem is there is so little time to make the changes necessary ..the season is starting off as a mess again - cant get the overseas signings sorted out, players leaving the squad before the season has started - think a lot more planning and careful preparation needs to take place a lot sooner than has happened over the last two years.  If it takes four months to get players paper work done then make the decsions in  September so everything is in place by Jan.  If a players attitude is not right then get them out in Dec not when the season is about to start. 

Ged said he wanted minimal travelling players this year becasue they can not train regulalry - that means getting overseas players to add the necessarry quality.  it doesnt have to cost a fortune   just good scouting look at Young, Rawlinson or even Stack...as it happens now we are probably pinning everything on Leeds giving us 3 decent dual contract players and hoping that they dont cause any upset intergating or get recalled at a critical time ...just to save our season
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2010, 08:30:57 pm by Boxer »

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #29 on: 16 Feb 2010, 08:48:22 pm
what goes on in the close season regarding signing players or does nobody bother because we are never prepared like other teams for the coming season
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.