HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

...and what happens next???

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:15:56 pm
Personally, I view this as an opportunity. The brutal truth is the brutal truth and where do we go from here?

To those who say there is some sort of "master plan" behind this move and all was planned beforehand..please, stop and think. My husband and I are losing a six figure personal fund investment in Haven (and that does not include my personal projects). I certainly do not take that loss lightly and everything was being done to prevent this action..but it is what it is.

With the rather brutal news this evening I remain engaged. My husband is interacting with a group of positive individuals, understands my concerns, and I'm sure there may be other groups looking at options.

We made a commitment to Haven at the request of the community. That wasn't undertaken lightly.

I have no idea what group, if any, will emerge to take the Club forward, but I'm still game. I'm rather optomistic.

Offline realist_2010

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:23:28 pm
and a number of small businesses in the Whitehaven area who have supported Haven through thick and thin over 60 years, yes 60 years, not 5 minutes, will also loose money, money they didnt 'gamble' on in a business, but money for goods and services provided in good faith.

Yes I accept it happens to many businesses in many service sectors, but it isnt an easy pill to swallow when its your community and your community club.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:26:24 pm
This may be a rather niave question but if its the question of 60K couldnt the various sponsors / BnFL companies and fans organise a wip round and stave of this situation.

If every contributor new it was going to clear the HRM debt of 60K i am sure we could make a decent dent in it.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:29:38 pm
Realist - the point is the present Bod have kept the club afloat having inherited a dire financial position.  Local business es would have loss a lot more a lot earlier without their efforts.

Offline ken kerr

• Academy Signing
Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:35:02 pm
This may be a rather niave question but if its the question of 60K couldnt the various sponsors / BnFL companies and fans organise a wip round and stave of this situation.

If every contributor new it was going to clear the HRM debt of 60K i am sure we could make a decent dent in it.
why dont you give the council a shout?? oh youve done that one already doh!!!

Offline realist_2010

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:35:41 pm
Yeah I appreciate that Boxer and I suspect I am feeling a little bit sore at the moment and will sleep on it. 

What annoys me is that companies basically go bust, screw those along the way, ok its the taxman seemingly taking the main hit in this case, which is kind of bearable, but then they set up again, with the a Board possibly similar to the previous one and all is rosy in the garden....

As you say, for 60 k or so, did this course of action really have to be followed, particularly when certain Directors have been spouting to the press about how they remained upbeat and optimistic about avoiding this very situation.

Everyone knew the general circumstances and an honest open dialogue a number of months ago instead of the approach taken may have had a different outcome. Sadly we will never know now.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:37:14 pm
Boxer:

Its not naive in the least. Its a very reasonable question.

I personally looked at engaging, but given the total burden, had to pass.

There may be others who can build a consortium to undertake the debt, provide an operational budget and bring in major sponsors. If that were to happen I would definitely be intruiged.

Right now I have a direction, but it is still aimed at the survival of Haven.

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:42:03 pm

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:46:13 pm

Offline Tommygun

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:56:45 pm

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:09:49 am
God only knows what will actually happen next Mrs Raaz seeing as it seems to be run by the SIS down there, but i can tell you what i would like to see happen.

An explanation to fans as to how this happened, no excuses, no blame game, just a sincere explanation as to the events that unfolded that have led to this decision.

If your husband is successful then i hope he brings along at least one person who understands Whitehaven RLFC as at present NOBODY at boardroom level does
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:17:52 am
Boxer:

In my humble opinion, this is a decision that probably should have been made 3 or 4 years ago.

In all seriousness if I had known the extent of the Club's debt when my husband first engaged my advice would have been, to quote Monty Python "run away...run away.".

The positive for Haven is that there are individuals out there willing to engage to see it through this process. Something I'm not sure existed 2-3 years ago.

I've branded myself to a group and hope that they are successful in their efforts. That being said, if there are others out there willing to make the investment I could only say "Well done" and would gladly step aside.

In any event Haven will survive.

Offline Norm Deplume

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2010, 12:48:22 am
With respect this club has been in existence for 60 years and should be run by the fans and for the fans not "owned" by any one individual or group of individuals looking for a plaything -- albeit an expensive plaything.

Please JD, tell me why, if Mr Raaz and yourself are prepared to listen to the fans, as you always say you are, won't you have an open public meeting so that everyone can be engaged and have the opportunity to get involved in saving the club?

Why won't your husband even consider the idea -- and I know it has been put to him more than once -- of a supporters trust, of which you and he would be more than welcome as members, running the club?

Offline karlconnor

• Academy Signing
Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:04:18 am
I understand a group are trying to get going and see what they can do in the ten day timescale -- for details log on to www.trustinhaven.co.uk

I'm told they need as many people as possible to register interest -- check the local press for more details over the next couple of days.

Offline J.D. Raaz

• First Team Backup
Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2010, 01:05:37 am
Norm:

First, your comment regarding a "plaything" is dismissed on its face. A small group will look for our engaging too little..or too much. We are engaged..and that is simply that.

As for a Supporter's Trust. I have in the past mentioned my interest in the concept. I've heard nothing since the cancellation of the last meeting.

That has NOTHING to do with the Club's present status. If someone could get a group together for an initial meeting I would be happy to attend...but I haven't received an invitation.

Until the Supporter's Trust advocates can get a group large enough to even hold an initial meeting I'll put my efforts with groups that are ready to engage NOW.