HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

End of season report

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:03:02 am
Well thats it for another year. What are your thoughts on that. Talk about being on a rollercoaster.

For me we started off well in thrashing Town in the pre season friendly. Really thought our new signings would see us get a top 6 spot. Govin came injury proned. Thompson never made it on the field.Govin soon left and we never saw much of Skee until the back end or you watched the reserves.

NRC campaign was a disaster. Worst bit was walking out of derwent park with all the Town fans singing bye bye bye bye. As for the other cup that was even worse. How could we lose to Blackpool ??? In the end that defeat cost us a money spinning tie away at Leeds.

By now fans were voicing with their feet. Dick Raaz's infamous comments saying were the fans could go certainly didn't help. Add to that Ged was slowly losing the plot. What was the BOD thinking about when they offered him a new 2yr deal ??? He was starting to fall out with quite a few players. Ginge went to Town. We never saw much of Jacko or Sicey either. He said he was never a fan of the dual Reg but suddenly found himself bringing in quite a few dual reg players !!! And what about our proposed new stadium.

The Championship season started off OK. Wins against Toulouse and away at Dewsbury hinted at maybe a top 6 spot but then suddenly that horrendous 13 game losing streak which was the nail in the coffin. Attendences fell well below the 1000 mark. Rumours of administration circulating about. Players asked to take pay cuts and the ones who refused were ommitted from the team sheet. Injuries hadn't helped either. Macca was out for most of the season. We never really saw Fordy. Rudd and Jackson also out for the latter part.

As for the highs............ We finally got a win away at Keighley then the news all fans wanted to hear Ged was sacked. A win in our last game so if Leroy and Howard do hang up their boots they finish their careers with a victory. The reserves have been fabulous in winning their league. At least with all these younguns coming through the future looks fairly rosy.

In the end though a pretty miserable season. ??? ???

Offline Haven Lad

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 23 Aug 2010, 08:38:04 pm
couldnt have put it better myself
Whitehaven 2010....Heres to the future.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2010, 09:44:49 pm
What's the point of this thread? Provides some with an opportunity rake over old coals I feel.

Disaster season, just lets move on, try not to get another issue to fester over and just start to work towards a new start next year.

Feel the AGM will capture the season pro's and cons in terms of what IT has to report.
« Last Edit: 24 Aug 2010, 04:13:19 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:30:00 pm
What's the point of this thread? Provides some with an opportunity rake over old coals I feel.

Disaster season, just lets move on, try not to get another issue to fester over and just start to work towards a new start next year.

Feel the AGM will capture the season pro's and cons in terms of what IT has to report.

To be honest cbandg01 the thread was never started with the intention of it being a slanging match as some threads turn out. It was a chance to look back at our season as painfull as its been and for us fans to put down our thoughts just like we do with post match reactions.

For me I aint blaming anyone as its been a collective thing. Certainly though in over four decades supporting Haven its been the worst season I've ever known. Even when we had 2 spells in the old 1st division and came bottom both times at least the terraces were pretty full and the players played with their heart on the badge.

Offline dick dastardly

• Academy Signing
Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2010, 11:36:46 pm
a couple of good point. jay rossi & shane ackerley give them another 12 month and super league will come calling. also think skee and dalton are starting to click at 6 & 7. young stephen foxx is a good prospect too

Offline Red Devil

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:26:27 pm
Got to agree with you on Foxx. he is no glory hunter and always gives a hundred percent, Apparently he has had a bad year with injuries. 

Offline pies4dotty

• Academy Signing
Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:56:13 pm
dastardly, ackerley i'll give you, but rossi....he looked like he was running in treacle when chasing the loose ball on sunday. He was held back but that wa in the Batley half, he should have been well away from the chaser by then for a winger. I know he is young, but even so, he is a winger, therefore should have pace.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2010, 03:05:22 pm
Give me a break re Rossi the blokes just turned 17 he is one of the best youngsters we have signed or a while. I doubt  he will be a winger all his careers

Offline haven 1

• Academy Signing
Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:00:01 pm
He's not a winger he's a centre.

Offline mickey

• Academy Signing
Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2010, 07:48:24 pm
watch out for a big young un carl stephenson 6ft3" 15an half stone . promessing and still learning