HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

u23s next year?

Offline Havenboyy

• Academy Signing
on: 16 Aug 2011, 02:28:24 pm
Whats the crack that their might not be a u23s next year?

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:38:17 pm
The u23s have relied heavily on the local amateur clubs players this season so they wont have a chance next season as both the local CARLA & NCL teams are turning to summer rugby

Offline mickey

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 17 Aug 2011, 05:33:00 am
is it down to money

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 17 Aug 2011, 07:33:03 pm
Maybe at this level the only way to get a squad of 28 or so 1st team class players ( town , swinton ) is to do away with u23,s for a while

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2011, 08:49:37 pm
Unless they combine an U23's with haven & Town ???
Winners MAKE it happen, losers LET it happen!

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2011, 08:57:14 pm
Unless they combine an U23's with haven & Town ???

Wouldn,t be surprised at that one bit and i dont think it would be a bad thing would allow more money for 1st team squad players

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:25:17 pm
Good idea, most forward thinking clubs have already started planning for next season so maybe the clubs should start now throwing some ideas about at each other so if and when they do sit down to discuse the u23s they will have a clearer picture of what will be the best possible way forward.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2011, 12:47:29 pm
It was in the League Weekly on Monday that Barrow, Whitehaven and Workington have held talks with the RFL to discuss radical changes in the county for the future.   Nothing concrete had been decided but I suppose at some stage the fans will also be given an opportunity to know and comment on these radical changes!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2011, 02:46:56 pm
I think a U23's team called West Cumbria, with two coaches (one linked to each club), containing signed players from each club would be a good idea. It would give players on the fringe of the first team valuable game time, it would cut costs and it would allow players to progress and develop, especially the young players. Even allowing Barrow to be involved and calling it Cumbria would be fine but it would greatly increase travelling for someone?

Offline the spy

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2011, 03:40:17 pm
Heard the cumbria clubs have had a meeting to pool the cumbria youth players in our area to form some sort of youth teams.Could be the start of something bigger.

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:00:28 pm
I think a U23's team called West Cumbria, with two coaches (one linked to each club), containing signed players from each club would be a good idea. It would give players on the fringe of the first team valuable game time, it would cut costs and it would allow players to progress and develop, especially the young players. Even allowing Barrow to be involved and calling it Cumbria would be fine but it would greatly increase travelling for someone?

This was exactly my point for posting my thoughts on them combining the U23's. It's one that could work. If Town have that many players with no reserves, and we have reserves but on several ocassions not enough, then to combine them would make a decent side. It was proved they could play as a team at the 9's.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2011, 05:51:04 pm by haven warrior »

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2011, 04:03:13 pm
Cumbria u23's/Cumbria Reserves. They both have a ring to them

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2011, 05:26:38 pm
Keith was the cumbria young ones not made up to bring players on from amature to club level

Offline haven warrior

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2011, 05:54:07 pm
Well "Ding Dong"

Hahahaha.....my sides ache with laughing that much...not!

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #14 on: 18 Aug 2011, 08:56:57 pm
Keith was the cumbria young ones not made up to bring players on from amature to club level

I think that was the idea of the joint effort but I don't know what is happening with them now.  It was reported yesterday that David Smith had stood down as the coach of the WC Under 18's and Jonty Gorley has taken over.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!