HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

new stadium

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2011, 05:10:44 pm
Was a groundshare at the rec ever considered? How much of the MILLION pound spent so far on fees spent investigating that?? I am at pains to see how a 10000 stadium can be developed on the county ground with the astro in the way. Moving the astro turf and relaying it is going to add around another half amillion to the cost. The whole thing is a joke.

Agree gpao the layout is also ridiculous, who in their right mind buids 2 stands in the fashion that's planned, especially given the conditions we have.

Would love to see the tender documents to see just what's in the spec

Was it ever put out to tender? I was under the impression that only the one company was asked?

Offline jammy dodger

• Top Try Scorer
  • Readers are Leaders
Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2011, 05:15:14 pm
They did say that it was being put out to tender although they may just be following rules and regs and already have their preferred contractor in mind. If this the case another shambles that does not create value for money

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2011, 05:34:38 pm by jammy dodger »
"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #32 on: 25 Nov 2011, 05:35:25 pm

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 01 Dec 2011, 09:03:03 am

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #34 on: 01 Dec 2011, 09:17:01 am
Whole thing has gone beyond a joke. Why don't they do the commomsense thing and spend what money we have on the Rec. Build 2 seater stands either side of the BH motor stand. Cover on the popular side. New clubhouse. Sort the drainage out and even raise the height of the pitch a foot or 2 if poss. Finally ground share with the footy club so its fit for both purposes.The Amatuers pitch could be used for training purposes and you could even build a gym :(

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #35 on: 01 Dec 2011, 09:52:53 am
Far too simple an ideas WRLFE. You really must move into the real world and start to think the way CBC think.

The first step in that direction is to insert your head into your derriere.
Next take a deep breath and taste the reality of the situation, as engineered by the councils forward thinkers.
Then  stick with the situation you now find yourself in, things may get better and could work out for the best in the long run.
Finally, take absolutely no notice of anyone ridiculing what your doing, because you know they are all wrong and you, as usual, are doing the right thing, in the right way at the right time. Just look back at all the other times you have adopted the 'insertion' position, and the benefits it has brought to the community around you.

Offline billybonzo

• Academy Signing
Reply #36 on: 01 Dec 2011, 09:54:40 am
So cran.cran you think it is naughty to have a group meeting before the actual meeting to decide voting intentions?
Every political party in history does this - it has always happened. As usual you are stirring with an ulterior motive.
Try accepting that the money has to be spent on a new stadium and cannot go towards the refurbishment of the Recre. or any other establishment.
Your pseudo-political rantings are getting boring - grow up and face reality.

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #37 on: 01 Dec 2011, 10:04:51 am
Far too simple an ideas WRLFE. You really must move into the real world and start to think the way CBC think.

The first step in that direction is to insert your head into your derriere.
Next take a deep breath and taste the reality of the situation, as engineered by the councils forward thinkers.
Then  stick with the situation you now find yourself in, things may get better and could work out for the best in the long run.
Finally, take absolutely no notice of anyone ridiculing what your doing, because you know they are all wrong and you, as usual, are doing the right thing, in the right way at the right time. Just look back at all the other times you have adopted the 'insertion' position, and the benefits it has brought to the community around you.

Your dead right CBG01. I guess the best way is to try and get into the mind of a high powered councillor relluctant to except criticism and 1 who is prepared to turn a deaf ear to what true fans want.

The stadium is not what was originally planned. As for revamping the Rec I can't see what the problem is. Any new stadium would need to be shared by both Rugby abd Footballclubs. Why can both clubs share the Rec. Footy game insert football nets. When there's a rugby match put in rugby post's. Groundsman might have his work cut out. ???

Offline gibsonspiesandoxo

• First Team Backup
Reply #38 on: 01 Dec 2011, 10:13:48 am
did they have the same type of meeting to decide on the swimming baths flats project billyb ?,

Offline Enoch

• First Team Backup
Reply #39 on: 01 Dec 2011, 10:25:03 am
How many times do people have to be told?

The money allocated for a new ground CANNOT be spent on doing up the Recre! So stop bringing it up as an option. If we want to do up the Recre we will have to find all the money from elsewhere.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 01 Dec 2011, 10:48:44 am
Dear Enoch, obviously I don't agree.

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #41 on: 01 Dec 2011, 10:55:41 am
We keep hearing all this " the money HAS to be spent on a NEW stadium (or half)" - Who is stating this and more importantly WHY when it's a clear case of wasting money???

The people running this debacle have gone so far down this road nobody is quite certain how they got here.

Offline cran.cran

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #42 on: 01 Dec 2011, 10:56:54 am
So cran.cran you think it is naughty to have a group meeting before the actual meeting to decide voting intentions?
Every political party in history does this - it has always happened. As usual you are stirring with an ulterior motive.
Try accepting that the money has to be spent on a new stadium and cannot go towards the refurbishment of the Recre. or any other establishment.
Your pseudo-political rantings are getting boring - grow up and face reality.
Dear b/b, yes I have an ulterior motive I have posted it on here ad nauseum, I bore you so what big deal, as for growing up well that is such a childish remark it doesn't warrant an answer. If you are happy with your councillors having a meeting on the planning decisions when they are not supposed to then it's no wonder the town is the way it is, I would prefer my councillors to do things properly but I am old fashioned in that respect.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #43 on: 01 Dec 2011, 11:39:45 am
Your wrong Enoch, the original plan was to update the Rec into a community facility, but THEY, (the council), couldn't pull all of the necessary strings, (inc the miners lease I agree), so THEY went to Plan B, which is the new stadium.

Did anyone see any signs of alternative plans. Not that I know of.  :shake: :shake: :shake:

THEY, (the council), wasted all the money which has been spent on reviews, feasibility studies and the rest, THEY promised us something which THEY are now not able to deliver, and THEY have now settled on the rubbish project we are now irretrievably tied into.  :shake: :shake: :shake:

THEY are still short of funds to even deliver the rubbish they are set on, and THEY have totally failed to get any level of mass public support for what THEY are doing.

THEY are a waste of space, money and even the fresh air THEY breath.

Just because we are stuck with what THEY want, (and still can't yet afford), it doesn't follow that we dissenters, (who are the greater mass of public opinion), should just shut up and let them get on with it.

I will complain about what we are being fobbed off with until my final day, and I am certain that in the long term even those of the general public who are buying into the fiasco now, will disown it in the not too distant future.

« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2011, 11:45:17 am by cbandg01 »

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #44 on: 01 Dec 2011, 11:41:49 am
We keep hearing all this " the money HAS to be spent on a NEW stadium (or half)" - Who is stating this and more importantly WHY when it's a clear case of wasting money???

The people running this debacle have gone so far down this road nobody is quite certain how they got here.

The money was given by the Energy Coast funding for the Pow Beck regeneration and especially for a new stadium that was part of that scheme.   The Pow Beck scheme covers the land that used to be known as the County Ground (behind the Rec grandstand) and much of that land is rented to the Whitehaven Amateurs.

The land from the Coach Road, including the house at the entrance, that caters for the Bowling Club, the Pigeon storage building, the football field opposite, the whole of the Recreation Ground and the small club between the Pigeon building and the Rec are all part of the Whitehaven Social Centre Charity, that used to be called the Miners Welfare.

All of that land (13 acres) is charity land and the people who manage it on a day to day basis are the Trustees of the small Whitehaven Social Welfare club.    If you look on the Charity Commission website and do a search for the number 512317 you will get all the details of the Trustees, etc.   These Trustees have to be guided by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation who oversee all ex-Coal Board land in the country and if any of the land is sold it is they who decide where the receipts are spent and how.     As it is charity land then CISWO are also tied by Charity Acts as to what they can and cannot do and they are overseen by the Charity Commission.

Haven have used the Rec under a lease from the Whitehaven Social Centre (the Miners) but were not able to get a long lease as the Charity Commission frown upon giving long leases to non-charitable organisations because the land is for the community use.

In order to get sufficient funding to "do up" the Recreation Ground as suggested, Haven need a long lease and round and round we go.    Even to build the new stadium a long lease is required for access to the site (the County Ground) and that is where the RL Facilities Trust come in as they are a charitable organisation and will keep the Recreation Ground for community use and allow Haven to train on it.

The council could slap on a compulsory purchase order on the 13 acres of charity land but I think they would find that it would be very costly as all the users would have to be re-housed elsewhere on other land.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!