HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

young cumbrians signed to super league academies.

shun · 16 · 1594

Offline shun

• Academy Signing
howmany young cumbrians do you know of that have signed for super league clubs?ill start it rolling
Jamie Doran, kells,wigan academy
Dominic Wear, kells, wigan academy
Jordan Burns, kells, warrington academy
Bradley Lawrence, Ellenborough, wigan academy
Kyle Dempsey, Ellenborough,wigan academy
Brandon Moore, Ellenborough,salford city reds
Theerapol Ritson, Ellenborough,salford city reds
Matthew Heaton, Dalton, salford city reds
Jack Moses, Dalton,  salford city reds
Tom Goffatt , Askam, salford city reds
Greg Richards , Ulverston, St helens
Liam McAvoy, Broughton Red Rose, Bradford Bulls
James Newton, Millom, Hull FC
Brad Singleton, Barrow Island, Leeds Rhinos
Jared Stewart, Egremont, Leeds Rhinos
Im sure there is plenty more.
are the Cumbrian pro team missing a trick here??
« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2012, 10:12:34 pm by shun »

Offline Bigjimk77

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2012, 10:15:28 pm
Jay Rossi BRR Bradford
Ryan Shaw BI, Glenn Riley WB, Tom Walker C/Mouth Warrington
Connor Holliday, Ben Milburn Kells Salford
Jarred Stewart Leeds
On top of Shaun Lunt, Lee Mossop, Kyle Amor etc

Don't think we are missing a trick, SL has more pull than us and until there is SL up here I don't think we can attract the players

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 09 Apr 2012, 01:00:48 am
Jay Rossi BRR Bradford
Jarred Stewart Leeds

Don't think we are missing a trick, SL has more pull than us and until there is SL up here I don't think we can attract the players
. When did Ben and connor sign for Salford? I knw brad thompson from Kells is also signed up

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 09 Apr 2012, 09:27:22 am
Jay Rossi BRR Bradford
Jarred Stewart Leeds

. When did Ben and connor sign for Salford? I knw brad thompson from Kells is also signed up

Connors signed on amateur forms i think

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 09 Apr 2012, 11:22:51 am
Ryan Watson and Ross gainford two good players impact Kells not signed up

Offline random2

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 09 Apr 2012, 12:21:51 pm
Don't understand the point of this thread?

there was a kid from Cleator Moor signed schoolboy forms at Man Utd recently...............Should workington Reds be signing him up?

If it was your lad you'd really want him to turn down a SL club to sign for a struggling 3rd division part time team?

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 09 Apr 2012, 06:03:40 pm
Don't understand the point of this thread?

there was a kid from Cleator Moor signed schoolboy forms at Man Utd recently...............Should workington Reds be signing him up?

If it was your lad you'd really want him to turn down a SL club to sign for a struggling 3rd division part time team?

If it could be explained to the family that it meant playing regular games.... a good shop window for SL teams..... a good environment for improving your a#game.... not leaving your friends and family behind too young....

As other posters have said, it is leaving behind the amatuer game that is the main problem - only the pull of a SL team now seems sufficient, it appears
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline Bigjimk77

• Academy Signing
Reply #7 on: 09 Apr 2012, 06:08:56 pm
Another cloud cuckoo merchant, we don't have an academy or reserve team or the cash to pay for it so you can say:

Son sign for us, stop playing rugby because we only have a first team, get disillusioned with the game and drift away SL clubs aren't going to look in B&M Bargains for a rolls royce are they!!!!!

Offline harbouragrudge

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2012, 06:58:00 pm
Another cloud cuckoo merchant, we don't have an academy or reserve team or the cash to pay for it so you can say:

Son sign for us, stop playing rugby because we only have a first team, get disillusioned with the game and drift away SL clubs aren't going to look in B&M Bargains for a rolls royce are they!!!!!

Well lets all just give up now should we? Actually, most of us already have....
Freud said that the essence of the comic was the conservation of psychic energy. But then Freud never played Second House, Friday night at the Glasgow Empire - Ken Dodd

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2012, 08:50:45 pm
It done kyle amor and gregg mcnally no harm signing for us they where soon snapped up by SL teams done shaun lunt no harm at town and prob brett phillips might be the next one snapped up be interesting to see how many of them young uns signed for SL clubs actually make it at that level

Offline Bigjimk77

• Academy Signing
Reply #10 on: 09 Apr 2012, 09:25:20 pm
That's fine for the older players Spacey but there's no academies up here anymore at the clubs only the 1 at lakes college which isn't affiliated to an SL club

Offline Haven Lad

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 09 Apr 2012, 10:26:53 pm
I think its upto the local professional clubs to approach these young lads, if a superleague club comes along there aint going to be many young lads who arnt going to want to sign up. But in some cases if their local professional clubs came calling and get in there before the superleague teams get wind of them, im sure the temptation of playing professional rugby could mean they would sign up, especially if we can explain to them our aims and goals and where we want to be and explain that we wouldnt stand in their way if a bigger club came knocking... im thinking this in the mind of a young lad, going to school with their mates, all the "street cred" that comes with it after just signing professionally. i could be way off the mark but if a club came knocking for me a few years ago wether it be whitehaven, barrow, workington or a SL club id have jumped at the chance.
Whitehaven 2010....Heres to the future.

Offline CUMBRIAN BOY

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2012, 02:20:21 pm

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #13 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:09:56 pm
i know we,d like to see all them young lads succeed in SL the odds are 90% of them wont make it and will end up playing semi pro or going back amateur and losing their amateur status or giving up altogether which would be a shame

Offline Bigjimk77

• Academy Signing
Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2012, 03:53:31 pm
I think most of the lads are just on scholarship and as such retain their amateur status